What's new

Veronica Mars question (1 Viewer)

Martin_K

Agent

I cought a few episode in the original run. I think its quite a funny show. I remember one episode, with one of the "geeks", going over to some girls house, she sat on the chair and he couldn't tell if it was squeaking or her farting.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I'm also really enjoying Gilmore Girls which I just started this past weekend. It's much more than a girly show, it's warm, charming and really funny, the dialogue between Lauren Graham and Alexas Bledel is first rate IMO and you'll never know what a given character will say next lol. :emoji_thumbsup:

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

It doesn't necessarily flow the other way, though. I love VM and have little use for Buffy or MSCL.

A blind buy of Alias probably couldn't hurt. I'm loving that right now (1st season, blind).

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
Just have to put my $.02 in here... I also LOVED, LOVED, LOVED, LOVED "My So Called Life" and could not believe it got cancelled. It was an awesome show!

I think I might add "Freaks and Geeks" to my Netflix queue.

VERONICA MARS ROCKS!

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator

I agree that it doesn't "flow" the other way, because I think VM has a more "widespread" appeal than either Buffy or MSCL. (Or it would have a more widespread appeal, if people gave it a chance.)

Buffy put a lot of people off because of the vampire element. A lot of people have no interest in vampire or monster stories. VM doesn't have any vampires or monsters (except the all-too-human variety).

MSCL put a lot of people off because it's all about characters and relationships and "not enough stuff happens." In VM, nobody can complain that "not enough stuff happens." If anything, VM has an over-abundance of stuff happening. Heh. VM is also much funnier than MSCL, which wasn't really about the witty one-liners.

Imho, VM has great writing and great characters like Buffy and MSCL, but is more grounded in reality than Buffy and has more action and suspense than MSCL (which has none of either, so that's not saying much). VM has so many things that should appeal to a wide range of viewers: mystery, drama, action, suspense, romance, teen angst, the best parent-child relationship on TV, and a very high laugh-out-loud quotient.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

It used to put off the wrong people, too, like those who vote for the Emmy's. That, more than anything, is why I stopped watching award shows because Buffy just exposed for me how award shows think.

When Kerry Russell won over SMG at the Emmy's, that was it, I was done with the Emmy's and haven't watched it since. :thumbsdown:

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator

Keri Russell was never nominated for an Emmy, iirc.

I think she was nominated for a Golden Globe once (as was SMG, I think), because the GG voters like "It Girls," but the Emmy voters are older and stodgier and tend to stick with "old favorites" they already know. Emmy voters especially like to vote for movie stars who "slum it" on television.

(I just looked it up and SMG was nominated for a GG in 2001 but lost out to Sela Ward.)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
The way it went down, I think, is that SMG was never even nominated for anything, even though she turned in stellar performances week in and week out, then Russel won a GG (your right, it was the GG's) her first year on tv.

As a fan of Buffy, I could see that they were turning their noses up at it because it deals with vampires and that really frustrated me, it STILL frustrates me if I think about it too long lol.

Yeah, that's when I realized that award shows were essentially biased bullshit and dropped all of them.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

I don't want to get too into it since there are a lot of fans in this thread, but I don't mind vampires. I just don't like Whedon's style. Anyway, Cheryl, I just wanted to say that I've appreciated your VM posts this season. The combination of a great memory and keen insight into the proceedings helped bring things into focus that didn't always make sense due to the long breaks.

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator
That's not a great memory - it's called obsessive rewatching when copying episodes onto DVD to push, er, loan out to my friends. ;) But thanks.

Anyway, what I meant to say was, if you liked Buffy, Alias, or MSCL, you will probably like VM. And if you absolutely hate all those shows, you will probably still like VM. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks