1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Veronica Mars Gets A Clue On DVD!!!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Jim Beaver, May 1, 2005.

1. CherylJ

CherylJ Stunt Coordinator

Kevin: Well, you have a lot of great episodes ahead of you then. Flashbacks included. [​IMG]

("Lord of the Bling" is episode 13 and is actually one of the weaker episodes imho. But the flashbacks are interesting and the best part of the episode.)

Most people will agree with you that Veronica 1.0 is like a completely different person from Veronica 2.0, but I think, if you pay attention closely, that Veronica 1.0 has the same smarts and mildly sarcastic sense of humor. She's just so damn happy. She has none of the anger and bitterness that drives Veronica 2.0.

(I know a person who changed like that after a bitter divorce. Once they were happy and then they were just bitter and hated all men and that nearly took over their personality. Bitterness changes people. But I digress.)

Plus, Veronica 1.0 was not the daughter of a private investigator. The most amazing thing to me is that Veronica 2.0 is a genius P.I. herself and is so good with all the gadgets after only 8 months or so. That's a little implausible, but hey, this show isn't about realism. All the "teenage girl is a P.I." stuff kind of has to be taken with a grain of salt. Heck, by the end of the season, she's broken enough laws to land her in jail for years.

But I used to love Alias, so realism isn't something I need in a TV show. [​IMG]

It's the incredibly deep and layered and consistent characterization that makes this show so special. Plus the complicated plotting and complex narrative structure of the weekly mysteries combined with the season long mystery, with great continuity for the observant viewers. And the ridiculous frenzied pace, particularly in the last few episodes. And the witty dialogue and pop culture references. And Kristen Bell. And Enrico Colantoni. And Jason Dohring. I could go on. [​IMG]

To get back on topic of the DVD specifically and not the show in general . . . it sucks that there aren't more extras but I really enjoyed the commentary provided by RT on his website. That was great of him to do that for the hardcore fans who want to know every detail of every scene.

2. Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey Cinematographer

Heh, I was going to harp on that one too but figured I would be coming across as too negative on what looks to be a very stellar show [​IMG]

3. CherylJ

This IS a stellar show, but it's not without flaws.

There are a lot of plot points that are completely implausible, and the P.I. stuff is generally at the top of the list. A lot of the stuff that Veronica gets away with during the course of her investigating is a bit much. Just wait until you see her breaking laws right and left. (It's actually kind of hilarious, and I loved every minute of it.)

But hey, Alias and 24 are both much worse. And I'm told Prison Break is the most implausible show ever, but people love that, too. And we shouldn't even discuss Lost, because they don't even try for anything resembling realism. If a show takes you on a wild fun ride, just hold on and don't ask too many questions. [​IMG]

4. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

I think it's easier for me to understand the transition because I'm 19, and I had a similar one maybe 4 years ago. Similar to Veronica I went through a lot of junk in a short amount of time... and while it didn't make me a PI, I'm a very different person now, and have been since. I also used to have a friend very much like Lilly who I don't really speak to anymore, and now think "Man, we were so different, why in the hell did we ever get along?"

Also, keep in mind that Veronica and Lilly were supposed to have been friends since Veronica was younger. At least 12, maybe earlier.

5. David Rosen

David Rosen Agent

One thing that I didn't notice the first time watching the finale, but I caught this time around was the weird scene between Dick and Cassidy (Beav) about four minutes in. It seems kind of suspicious, especially now that there is some focus on them in the current season. Any thoughts on that scene?

Is it about keeping Logan's secret about not being in Mexico?

Or am I just looking for clues where there are none?

6. seanOhara

seanOhara Supporting Actor

Okay, I got around to disc 4 last night. I put it into my DVD player without looking at it, and I immediately heard this awful rrrrrrrgk-rrrrrrgk-rrrrrrrgk noise. I hit eject and pulled the disc out, expecting it to be scratched up. But no, some moron had decided to stick a security tag on the playing surface!

I managed to peel the tag off without leaving any residue, and the only damage I saw was on the very edge, beyond the silvery part. So I put the disc back in, but thirty-five minutes into Lord of the Bling the picture becomes pixelated and the disc starts skipping. I pull it out one more time and wipe it down, and thankfully that cleared up the problem.

But Jebus, what sort of idiots is the WB hiring to package their discs?

7. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Matt Stone

David,
    That's how I took it.

8. CherylJ

David: I read that scene the same way.

I also think it's another scene showing us that Beaver tries to do the right thing -- in that case, tell the truth about Logan's alibi -- while Dick has no real moral compass and is just sticking with his promise to Logan. The difference between the two Casablancas boys is even more obvious this season. Beaver tries to do the right thing, and Dick is just Logan's toadie.

9. Rian

Rian Stunt Coordinator

Well I went in to Future Shop today to try and get it today, yet the guy told me it was SOLD OUT. I guess that would be good news, eh?

10. Ryan_Guah

Ryan_Guah Stunt Coordinator

Not necessarily. Maybe they just didn't expect many sales so they didn't order many copies.

11. Rian

Rian Stunt Coordinator

Yeah as soon as I posted that I thought the same thing. But I was trying to think optimistically.

12. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

My local best buy (a new york city store) only had something like 15 on the shelf the day of release. I think they're anticipating low sales, but it might surprise them. These are the shows that sell really well. For example, BUFFY sold better than CSI I believe... because the types who would buy the DVDs are the hardcore fans, whereas the millions who watch CSI might not really plunk down the money for a season set. So the fact that VM is a cult show really means the sales could be good.

13. CherylJ

VM is doing okay on Amazon's Top DVD Sellers list.

As of today, it's currently #21 among TV shows on DVD, but I hoped it would be doing better. It's behind The L Word and Stargate and a couple of other shows that I wouldn't have expected to be doing that well. But that list changes frequently.

14. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
  15. ElijahS

ElijahS Supporting Actor

I emailed him.

16. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    That's good. I was hoping someone would, since I don't actually own the set yet and can't actually speak from firsthand experience.

17. Bill>Moore

Bill>Moore Second Unit

I tried the show for two eps last season (maybe eps 5-6 or something like that), but it wasn't interesting enough to keep me watching. I gave it a second chance at the beginning of this season and have really gotten into it now. Suddenly I find myself interested in picking up the season 1 set and catching up on all the previous goings on. I know the basics, but it would be nice to see it all on DVD. Shame that it's not in WS since I'm sure the HD version looks great.

18. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    From what I understand the DVD packaging stating "matted widescreen" is effectively a misprint. The S1 eps on DVD are anamorphic.

19. Ryan L. Bisasky

Ryan L. Bisasky Second Unit

all warner bros dvds that have an aspect ratio of 1:85 or 1:77 all say that they are "matted"
    And i posted this in the software forum, but this might need addressing.

20. Bill>Moore

Bill>Moore Second Unit

Ah, good. Thanks for that info!