What's new

Veronica Lake appreciation thread (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I recently discovered Veronica Lake and I have been watching her films.

Ramrod was a recent one that I watched. She was very good in her part. For such an old film I was surprised at how well it held up!

Stronghold is my next one of hers to watch.

I also loved Sullivan’s Travels, I married a witch, the glass key and This Gun For Hire.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
She was a favorite of mine from my youth. What a sad life though as she had a lot of unhappiness and issues.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I'm glad i saw this post. I've been a fan of Veronica Lake since i saw one of her films that she did with Alan Ladd. Probably This Gun for Hire. I read her autobiography back in the 70s. I was surprised at what a rough life she lead. This post got me to check amazon for her autobiography and i found it on kindle for $2.99,although i paid zero because i have amazon kindle credits. Can't wait to reread this sad but informative book again.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I recently discovered Veronica Lake and I have been watching her films.

Ramrod was a recent one that I watched. She was very good in her part. For such an old film I was surprised at how well it held up!

Stronghold is my next one of hers to watch.

I also loved Sullivan’s Travels, I married a witch, the glass key and This Gun For Hire.

Her star shines very brightly for me. My top three are Sullivan's Travels, This Gun for Hire, I Married a Witch. Lovely tribute to her on YouTube (Love is Blue).

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I've been waiting decades for a DVD/Blu ray release of Saigon, 1948 starring Ladd and Lake.

Same here. There’s an Italian dvd of it but the reviews of the disc are awful.

It would be wonderful to buy the rest of her films officially even if just digital copies….

There’s several paramount films of hers that are being sold from bootlegs online. Again I’d like the option to buy these legally from paramount.

The sainted sister is another.
Hold that blonde
Out of this world

All 3 of these are being sold on eBay.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

FriendlyGhost

Auditioning
Real Name
Allen

It would be wonderful to buy the rest of her films officially even if just digital copies….

There’s several paramount films of hers that are being sold from bootlegs online. Again I’d like the option to buy these legally from paramount.

Hold that blonde
Out of this world

Hold that blonde
Out of this world

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Kino Lorber recently released Calcutta, another Alan Ladd film that had only been available on dvd from the same Italian company you mentioned. That gives me some hope that we might get a Saigon blu ray at some point.
Let's hope those legal issues are cleared up for Saigon.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Let's hope those legal issues are cleared up for Saigon.

Robert, Thanks for posting this.

I picked up 2 more of her films today.

Slattery’s Hurricane
So proudly we hail

I’ve never see either but I am looking forward to seeing them!

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
Another classic star I'm not terribly familiar with. What little I have seen of her work hasn't necessarily intrigued me enough to seek out any more of it. I know she was a big deal back during WWII and her "peek-a-boo" hairstyle caused quite the sensation among women wishing to duplicate it. Outside of that, I think I've skimmed through a handful of her films, with titles like I Married a Witch and Sullivan's Travels springing to my memory.

1652106787437.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks