Verizon's Fios Internet service

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Scott L, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Scott L

Scott L Producer

http://www22.verizon.com/FiosForHome...code=&variant=

Two options:
    1) 5mb down/ 2mb up for $39.95
    2) 15mb down/ 2mb upload for $49.95

I guess they have to run CAT5 directly to your house! The disclaimer says your house must already be wired with the stuff. Wish they'd do that in my area, or at least push the cable companies to increase speeds.

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

That looks pretty sweet. Too bad it's not available in my area. It's about time some companies started offering reasonable prices for connections over 1Mb/sec.

The way I read it, they actually run fiber optic to your house (pretty standard these days anyway) and put a box in your house that converts fiber to Cat5.

3. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

yeah they run fiber directly to your house, I currently have similar service from surewest 10mbps up/down for $50 a month,man is it cool when you join CS:Source servers or any other game servers for that matter and you are pinging 5 and you can watch all the little wanna be badasses drop their jaws to the ground ;D

4. Patrick_L

Patrick_L Second Unit

From what i've read, this is only available in Texas at the moment.

Nice to be able to view that page after being slashdotted on the 26th. Here
    is the Slashdot article along with some good information on one gentleman's FIOS installation with pics.

5. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

Yep, fiber right to the house...very cool. They spent a couple months running all the backbone lines in our little city of Keller, and are now doing about 40 to 60 installs per day.

My neighbor has his install on Tuesday so I will get a chance to check it out.

As soon as Verizon adds cable and HD channels to their offering, I will probably switch as well. I'm getting way to good of a deal on my 1.5mb DSL to switch right now.

Neal

6. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    I wish more companies would start offering higher upload speeds with their broadband products. I can't get more than 200k upload with any company in my area (Los Angeles). I went to broadbandreports.com the other day while I was at work and the speed test showed my work connection running at 35 megs down and 9 megs up!!! I would kill for that connection at home! [​IMG]

7. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

I got it right after it was available in Keller. Well worth the money. Not so much for downloads but for upload which is 2Mbits. I have the 15Mbits service but I'd probably be fine with the 5Mbits as well.

8. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Ya, I decided to go with the 5mbit one. Still 1mbit faster than my cable downloading, and about six times as fast uploading for $8 less per month....not a hard decision. I had Verizon DSL for a couple years before we moved into this house, but had to switch to cable because DSL wasn't available. I never had an issue with their DSL, hoping FIOS will be the same. The only thing I hate about my cable connection...when there is an Amber Alert or a "alert test" it disrupts the internet too. (small price to pay for the good the Amber Alert does, but annoying none the less)