What's new

Verizon 768K DSL @$14.99 vs. Comcast 6M Cable @$19.99 (1 Viewer)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Comcast will let you get 6 months of their cable service that is about 4 times faster (in my download tests). But then you have to take a break. Officially, you must not be a customer for 30 days between 6 month periods. I have read that if you wait a week they will sign you back up, but I didn't want to try that.

So, I just got the Verizon today and certainly, for $14.99 it is great compared to ordinary dial-up. Verizon gives you 30 days to cancel, otherwise, it is a 1 year contract.

Already, I can see a slight difference in how fast some pages load, but after 25 minutes of use, it is way too early to decide.

What do you think about this choice?

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
If all you do is web surfing DSL may suit your fancy. For $15 a month though can you really complain?

That Comcast deal you speak of, is it just a promotional thing for new customers (Try it our for 6 months for just $19.99 a month, then pay normal price thereafter)? If so it would be ghetto to just do the promotion, cancel for a month, then start up the promotion again.

If you spend tons of time on the web condsider getting something faster. I wouldn't want to spend so much time waiting if I could afford to go faster.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Verizon should also have a 30$/mo deal for 3mbit by 768k internet. . . as that is what I currently use.

Scott gives good advice as far as which to go with. If the speed difference is something that bothers you to any degree, go with the faster choice.

Adelphia in my area always runs the same promotions. . . guess that will be moreso now that comcast bought them out. Though in my area it was only good for 3 months :frowning:.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
My mom had a 12 month promotion for SBC DSL at $19.99/month. When it expired, they started billing her $49/month. When she called SBC and said she was going to cancel and go with Comcast, they extended her promotional price for another 12 months. I myself have Comcast and while I'm satisfied with the speed, I'm not happy forking over $45/month for it.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Because I was a long-time EarthLink/MindSpring subscriber, I was able to get a deal where I pay the same price as my dial-up account to get 1.5 mbps aDSL in the first year and US$29.95/month afterwards. What a deal! :emoji_thumbsup:

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Well, I got them to waive the $20 shipping and "activation" fee after I explained that this was never disclosed to me. They may also give me the first month for free even though I forgot to go through the net to sign up.

I also found out that they will waive the $79 early termination fee if you move to any area not served by Verizon.

After 5 days, it still bugs me a little that some things load slower than Comcast cable, but I have another 25 days to make up my mind.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Harold,

I just tested my EarthLink DSL connection and got 1227 kbps download speed and 319 kbps upload speed. :D

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
I just tested mine to compare with DSL:

2005-09-21 15:49:13 EST: 4586 / 321
Your download speed : 4696168 bps, or 4586 kbps.
A 573.2 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 329227 bps, or 321 kbps

I have comcast cable :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks