1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Veritcal Limit Superbit (DTS 5.1)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mitch Stevens, Jul 20, 2002.

1. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

I just posted in a Pearl Harbor thread how the DTS 5.1 track has way LESS bass than the Dolby Digital track, and on this film, I noticed the same thing.

On Vertical Limit (Superbit) both track sound exactly the same (to my ears) in the mids and highs, but the bass is completely different. The bass on the Dolby Digital track is nice and strong, while the bass on the DTS track is extremely weak, and hardly there at all. Has anyone else noticed this, and prefer the Dolby Digital track to the DTS one?

2. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Have not seen either Pearl Harbor or Vertical Limit, but could this be a repeat of Jurassic Park DTS???? When JP DTS was first released, there were rumbles about poor bass, and the rumble soon turned into a flood of complaints. Finally, there was the infamous reissue, which made all (most?) of us very happy[​IMG] .

3. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Do you have a DTS LFE pad adjustment on your receiver, and if so, is it properly adjusted? I get plenty of bass in the superbit version, although I haven't compared it to the Dolby digital. I'll give it a try tomorrow and see if I notice any differences.

4. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

No. There isn't an LFE pad adjustment on my receiver. I checked the manual, and it says that the receiver takes care of everything.

DTS works perfect on other DTS movies, I just found that on Veritcal Limit and Pearl Harbor, the bass was almost non-existant. I think those are the only two titles that have DTS, where the bass was way lower than the Dolby Digital version.

P.S. I love the way that "The Haunting" DTS bass sounds. Almost too powerful for the sub to handle, and almost too powerful for a human to live through!