Veritas: The Quest

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MichaelD, Jan 28, 2003.

1. MichaelD

MichaelD Stunt Coordinator

Did anyone catch this last night. I did and I don't really know what to think of it. While the story was a little blase, it did give me that Indiana Jones vibe. Nikko (Ryan Merriman) seems like a promising young actor, but the dad is horrible. Also, was the dad's right hand man the guy who played the mummy in The Mummy? It sure looked like him. Anyway, I think I am going to give it a shot and see if it goes anywhere.

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Yep, that was Arnold Vosloo, looking (but not actually doing) anything badass. I liked the father more than you did, and think this could be kind of a fun series, even if it is completely disposable.

BTW, is it just me, or did this thing not have any commercials during the first thirty minutes, and only about 5 minutes of ads total? Not that I'm complaining, no sir!, just that I found it a bit odd, especially considering comments from David Greenwalt that they had to cut 8 minutes out of the Miracles pilot for broadcast.

Also, what did the web search on "Dorna" come up with in the end? That's where my Replay cut off.

3. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

I'm going to have to watch this tonight. I was watching/taping it but I passed out.

What did everyone think of the tutor Juliet. She's a friend of mine from highschool. [​IMG]

4. Kong Chang

Kong Chang Screenwriter

We won't find out about "Dorna" until next week.

And the tutor was hot. [​IMG] Really great. Must be filmed in Canada, since I've noticed a lot of Canadian actors in this series. [​IMG]

5. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

The premise seems ludicrous for this series. Many series have done fine despite a ludicrous premise, but this one seems to be takign too seriously. I'll give it a few weeks. My opinion may improve.

6. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

7. derek

derek Second Unit

I enjoyed it and look forward to uncovering more of the plot elements. I like the archaeological team reminded me of Tommy Lee Jones' US Marshall group in 'The Fugitive.' Nikko's whining got old...but I have hopes for greater father/son interaction and emotion. Vosloo was great. Unfortunately IMDB said ABC Super Monday pretty much bombed so not sure how long Veritas will last.

8. Jalil

Jalil Stunt Coordinator

I liked it, i'll be wathching the next episodes to see how it goes.
    the no commercial thing took me by surprise.. i actually wanted commercials, cuz i was in the middle of cleaning my place, and i needed breaks to walk away from the tv.. lol

9. Richard_D_Ramirez

Richard_D_Ramirez Second Unit

Why does this show seem like a "New Millennium Jonny Quest"? Maybe, it's because:

Nikko = Jonny Quest
    Solomon = Dr. Benton Quest
    Vincent = Race Bannon

For a premiere, they tried to pack too much info into a single hour. The show cut between the two subplots too frequently (Nikko/Solomon and team), I couldn't relate with any of them. I'll give the show one more try, but I don't hold much hope in continuing to watch it.

8^B

10. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

I thought the show was pretty decent, except that I don't particularly like the kid actor. The rest seem to be well-cast, though. I'll definitely give it a try for a few more episodes; what remains to be seen is how many espisodes ABC will give it if it doesn't pull in the ratings as good as Bachelor/etc.

11. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

This week's episode wasn't really an improvement. The show seems to be built out of cliches and pseudoscience. For instance, if the pyramid were magnetically balanced, messing with the top would not affect the lower layers at all.

12. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Has this show been pulled already? I see it is been replaced by "I'm a Celebrity-Get me outta here!" on Feb.24.

13. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

No, I'm A Celebrity is just being aired over 15 consecutive days; something has to get bumped on each one of 'em.

I was going to drop it this week (it's fun, but not quite worth the effort of setting the VCR) but they're throwing Liz Vassey at me.

14. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    In it's debut week, "Veritas" actually pulled the best ratings of the night for ABC:

Veritas - 9.2
    Practice - 9.0
    Miracles - 8.7

15. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I wonder how much of that had to do with its reduced commercial time, though - no opportunity to change the channel.

Speaking of which... Dragnet was like the opposite of that last night - three commercial breaks in the first twenty minutes (though only one in the last half hour).

16. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

I like the show. The kids a little to whiney for me though. Hopefully they catch onto this and clean him up. In my opinion the whiney thing is being done to death lately.

It shows some promise though. As for the technical aspects of it. It's a TV show, if I wanted realism I would go into work.

17. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Double post.

18. Jalil

Jalil Stunt Coordinator

19. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

20. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor