What's new

Verifying mp3 files are correctly tagged? (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -

i did a search on tag, but it's too generic, so i apologize in advance for a question that i'm sure has already been asked.

so the deal is that i have a bunch of mp3 songs i want to transfer to my hp music server. the problem is the last time i did this i discovered that a *bunch* of my files weren't tagged correctly. this caused the music server to file them all under "unknown artists" - thereby screwing up the onboard cataloging system.

so, what i need is some sort of utility that will help me identify whether or not my files are tagged? all i really care about are artist, title, album (and if possible) genre.

wishful thinking???

thx,

ted

John*Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I usually just open up Media Player and go to the Media Library tab. You can then do a search for all media files and it will eventually list them all. Go under "all music" and you'll have the entire list and it will show "title, artist, album, rating, media info..." From there you can tell which are tagged incorrectly for "unknown artist". I screwed up tagging a few of my rips and I just hilighted all of the tracks from a given album, right clicked and chose "advanced tag editor". From there you have the option of changing all the tag info for all the tracks without having to do them individually...this saved me a lot of time.

Anyway, I'm sure there are easier programs or utilities that are out there for this, but I thought I'd just pass on one way of doing it.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
In Musicmatch you can right click the song and select a feature called Super-tagging. It looks up the song in some big database and labels the correct song, artist, album, yr, etc...

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
awesome guys. thx.

i like the media player idea - a quick and easy way to find out what's not tagged.

that tag&rename looks pretty powerful. but it appears i have to pay for it? bummer. if so, i may go the media player route - it may take more time but i'm a cheapskate!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks