Verified by Visa: A f^$&%$# Nightmare!!!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Holadem, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I have been trying to order a Dell computer online for the last two hours with no success. At the check out page, after I enter my credit card info, I get this..

Your Visa Card has been pre-enrolled in Verified by Visa for added protection against fraud whenever your card is used at participating online stores--at no additionalcost.

in a pop up window asking me my mother's maiden name and the last 4 digits of my SSN. WTF??!!

I enter the requested info, it says no go.

Dell of course has NO CLUE what's going on. I run a search and it turns out it's this new thing by Visa to protect against online fraud. Cool. Only that I never registered for the fucking thing to begin with!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Contrarly to what the website says, it seems I CANNOT use the card without registering for that crap. How does someone prevent me from using my goddamn card WITHOUT NOTIFYING ME IN ADVANCE??!! [​IMG]

I went to the Visa site, registered, and it's still not working!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I am going to have a heart attack over this. I don't think the computer deals I want are available on the phone. I need to choke or kill something or somebody now.

--
    Holadem

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

At least on the bright side, if you can't find a way to use your card, I doubt some punk will find a way around the security either [​IMG]

3. Micah Lloyd

Micah Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

In this day of electronic communication, it's sometimes best to pick up the phone and talk to someone... I'd suggest calling the customer support number on the back of the card and asking for their help.

An extra piece of advise: I've had to call my credit card customer service departments to add my work as an "authorized ship-to address" so I can have online purchases shipped to my office instead of home (where it likely gets placed on the front step and could easily walk off).

4. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

You can get it fixed over the phone. Call and complain big time.

I only use my Amex card these days. Visa has lost my business already. Still have a MC but never use it.

I hate all this more protection garbage. 10 years ago I had protection. I've always had protection where if I don't use the card, then I don't pay. These card companies are just trying to save themselves money by adding this more protection, and they make you think that it's protecting you (but in reality, you were protected anyway without it). It's kind of a pain in the butt with some things.

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

6. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I called Dell and succesfully completed the purchase on the phone after like 8 tries where I was forwarded to the wrong person.

But eh, a P2.2 Ghz, 256MB, 30GB HD, CD-DVD RW, AND and 17" monitor for $480 after $50 rebate was worth the trouble. It would have been $399 had it settled for a DVD player or a CD burner! No floppy or speakers though, but who needs those? This is my first time using the HTF deals page, I will be checking it more often now! [​IMG]

Now I need let my bank and visa hear it.

--
    Holadem

7. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Holadem,

Sounds sweet! I, too, just bought a new Dell for work.

8. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

I had the same problem ordering flowers. I entered the correct info three times and it said the info was incorrect and then it closed itself. The order window went thru on its own after the "verified by visa" window closed.

9. Peter Burtch

Peter Burtch Stunt Coordinator

Hi Holadem,

Would you mind directing me to the URL for that Dell deal you mentioned? I am somewhat new around here [​IMG]. Didn't seem to find it.

many thanks,
    Pedro

10. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

11. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Here

Or use the Forum Jump menu at the top and bottom of this page to get the Deals Page, under HTF Market place.

Note that this is the last day for that deal, I would hurry...

--
    Holadem

12. Micah Lloyd

Micah Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

Peter,

Apex is where I got my Dell, too. I use it as a Home Theater PC. Dell is constantly doing deals like this. If you miss this one, another will come along shortly...

13. Peter Burtch

Peter Burtch Stunt Coordinator

Never mind. Brain fart on my end [​IMG]. Very good deals.

best,
    P