What's new

Verification of DVD Beaver Screen Grabs (1 Viewer)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
DVD Beaver just posted a review of the French Werewolf Of London blu-ray that I reviewed here last month. Interestingly enough, they chose a grab that is just a couple of frames away from one I made. Lots of people complain that Gary Tooze's images don't reflect the way the films actually look, so here is a chance to check him with a comparison made completely independently. They look pretty much the same to me.

wol07.jpg

This is my grab... full version here http://www.vintageip.com/pics/wol07.jpg

wol07a.jpg

And this is DVD Beaver's full version here http://www.vintageip.com/pics/wol07a.jpg

They sure do look alike to me. Just a tiny bit of difference.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Stephen, firstly thanks for the pics - they do look close. The criticisms of Mr Gary Tooze (DVD Beaver) that I've most often come across here haven't been about specifically his grabs looking different to the film under review, but instead as follows:

• That screen grabs (irrespective of who captured them) can never be indicative of a film in motion
  • That Mr Tooze's grabs are hand-picked from segments of the film to selectively skew in one direction or another, and not necessarily indicative of the movie in general (perhaps this is what you meant?)
  • That Mr Tooze's analysis comes from a non-professional base

I treat the Beaver as a fellow lover of film, rather than an industry expert, and so I am grateful to his services in that light; in much the same way that I appreciate the reviews and opinions of the film fans here on HTF. Of course, I draw the line between those offerings and that of industry stalwarts and luminaries - at least on a technical level.

As to film content generally, that is purely subjective and I don't feel anyone's opinion can be considered objectively expert, and this is where I derive the greatest pleasure on HTF - discovering how others feel about certain films and contrasting them with my own feelings.

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Funny, I thought the main criticisms were he was still using out of date software; had an over reliance on his increasingly annoying "Toozisms" (Stacked! Tight! HD sourced! Soft pallet! ETC! ETC!); bent over backwards to favor Region B when the differences were beyond minute; and hired even more mentally unstable hipsters like Mono Maven Norwitz, perhaps in attempt to look better in retrospect.

You know... the OBVIOUS ones.

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I guess single data point of B&W film is a start, but I guess there probable needs to be a lot more comps in various situations to verify if the screen grabs are correct.

OTOH -- I find the entire issue is at best minimally useful for all the reasons that have been discussed in the past.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
  • That Mr Tooze's analysis comes from a non-professional base
Welcome to the internet! You're soaking in it! -Madge the Manicurist

I guess if a critic was a professional, he wouldn't be a critic any more. He'd be off making movies instead of criticizing them. Personally though, I find the Beaver's grabs to be very useful in deciding whether to buy a disc or not. The words are usually not nearly as helpful.

You guys forgot the big one... reviewing video and audio quality by the bitrate!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
You guys forgot the big one... reviewing video and audio quality by the bitrate!
Ah yes, the dreaded "Eureka is technically more robust". File along with "bending over backwards to justify that 500 dollar Oppo".

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I have been following The Beaver for many years and happy there is another website to get info on new releases and reviews. I also like the attention on other regions since I do have a all region player and have bought many from the UK and Europe.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
I left behind name-calling quite some years ago now, but I have heard of the term "beaver-bashing" - albeit in other contexts - and it seems a sport alive and well on HTF, with many experts abounding on the Beaver's favourite catchphrases and practices. Seems a lot of folk here must visit his site often, taking careful note.

One particularly useful piece of info that Mr Tooze provides is the region-encoding of discs - though less important for me since I invested in a region A player in addition to my local area B player. I find his cross-region comparisons more than a little helpful in deciding which version of a disc to buy, when there are multiple options available.

...and you forgot "the image is thick!"

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I'm not familiar with the term, although it conjures up glossing over things!?

I left behind name-calling quite some years ago now, but I have heard the term "beaver-bashing" - albeit in other contexts - and it seems a sport alive and well on HTF, with many experts abounding on the Beaver's favourite catchphrases and practices. Seems a lot of folk here must visit his site often, taking careful note.

One particularly useful piece of info that Mr Tooze provides is the region-encoding of discs - though less important for me since I invested in a region A player in addition to my local area B player. I find his cross-region comparisons more than a little helpful in deciding which version of a disc to buy, when there are multiple options available.

...and you forgot "the image is thick!"

Not to mention the extras (or lack thereof) and a picture of the covers of the various editions. I consider the "Beaver" to be a resource like any other in making a purchasing decision.

As for being hard on the Beaver, all I will say is "
tumblr_n9qk0cQbbv1r60h6bo3_250.gif
Cut me some slack, Jack! Chump don' want no help, chump don't GET da help! ;)!"

Last edited:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Nice thing about the internet is there are some good websites like this one and the Beaver where you have your options and resources to inform you about a Blu-ray or a dvd purchase or upcoming info....and don't call me Shirley!

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I also consider DVDBeaver to be a very useful source. He reviews a lot of discs, probably more than any other site, and is always an interesting read. To be honest I find his reviews to be more useful than those on this site, probably because of the screen caps and comparisons. Obviously HTF is pre-eminent when it comes to intelligent discussion and is the only home entertainment site I post to.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks