Verification for my mom that DVD players are significant to the video quality.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by BertFalasco, Dec 2, 2003.

1. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

My mom picked up Pirates of the Ca... today and is presently watching it and she is right when she says the picture is grainy and so on. She has a 65" Mitsu HD and it came with an awful unknown DVD player (via RCA no less).

I just wanted to post and get replies so that my mom can read this and be assured that DVD players do, in fact, have a significant role in picture quality (component, prog. scan, etc) because she is contemplating returning it for Sony [​IMG]...and that cannot happen.

Thanks!

2. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

If, by "it", you mean the TV, please reassure her that isn't the problem. That's easy. What isn't easy is disecting what is causing that. I'd start by buying (any) progressive scan DVD player and hooking it up to show the difference.
    In the meantime, I would also recommend checking cable connections. While S-Video may look decent, you gotta at LEAST go with component video cables from an interlaced player to get the most out of it, or you are just wasting an investment in any large size TV - regardless of brand.
    Let me conclude by stating that I have a Mitsubishi widescreen and I recently helped my grandmother buy a Sony widescreen. The differences between the two are slight. The biggest difference that even my grandmother noticed right away- when I showed her how her picture looked on her component cables she let me get her compared to a composite hook up! She couldn't believe the difference. And this was on Ice Age, which is just pretty in any form to begin with...

So, Mz. Falasco, do yourself a huge favor and drop 80 dollars or so on a progressive scan DVD player and a few more on component cables. It will quickly justify your 65" behometh in your viewing area [​IMG]

PS- Please, GOD, tell me you aren't using an RF Modulator!LOL!

Matt

3. BertFalasco

4. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Many films use grain for "artistic" reasons, so in fact seeing a lot of grain may just be because your display and DVD player are so good you are seeing it all! The lower quality players and displays have a softer image and may just mask the visibility of the grain that exists in the source!

5. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

I have seen many cheaper players these days that have a very good, sharp picture. Then there are players like the relatively expensive Denon DV910 that are fairly soft.

6. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

And Pirates does have noticeable grain in may scenes. Try Shrek or Monsters Inc for animated, Hulk or T-3 or X-2 for live action with little or none of the grain. Grain is a natural part of film though, many directors and cinematographers actually emphasize it deliberately for artistic effect, see any of the Godfather films for an example.

7. BertFalasco

I know, but this is definitely due to the player, there is unintentional grain.

8. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

How do you know it's due to the player? I would do like one of the above poster said, play some other movies on it. If you see grain on everyone then it's the player. And still like the others said, POTC is not a reference transfer, it is good in many areas, but does have noticeable grain and EE.