1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Verdict on Pioneer DV-47ai

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Elvick, Dec 4, 2002.

1. James Elvick

James Elvick Supporting Actor

Is the i version of the DV-47 a better player than its predecessor for SACD/DVD-A?? I want to go to a universal player for the convenience but not sure I want to give up my 555es and RP91 just yet.

James

2. Mark Davenport

Mark Davenport Stunt Coordinator

In a word yes, I owned the 47A for 6 months and thought it was a good unit but kept hearing about how it lacked in SACD. A month ago I picked up the 47AI and sold my 47A and the SACD is much better on the 47AI. DVD, DVD-A and cd are a little better on the 47AI but SACD is hugely improved. The muddy high end on SACD's for the 47A is gone in the 47AI. It does much much better on SACD and the high-end freq. of SACD's.

The 47AI is really a completely different unit, they should have called the the 49AI or something it is built a lot better and has different DACS and a better power supply than the 47A.

3. Sach

Sach Stunt Coordinator

The original 47A was criticized for its SACD by only one mag, the Perfect Vision. A lot of others have praised it. I had 47A and I liked it. However you should also read a complete review of both the video and audio of 47A in the Widescreen mag (never seen such a complete review before for a DVD player). Here are the links:
    audio:
    http://www.widescreenreview.com/wsrm...4erpioneer.pdf
    video:
    http://www.widescreenreview.com/wsrm..._erpioneer.pdf
    I upgraded to 47Ai and its been a winner for me in all aspects. I just wanted one box to do all and this one does it really good plus its got the ilink.

4. James Elvick

James Elvick Supporting Actor

Thanks for the replys and the ammunition [​IMG] Anybody else have any comments?
    Thanks
    James Elvick

5. BenK

BenK Stunt Coordinator

James, I too would like an all in one solution like the 47AI and have noticed you have your RP-91 dvd player and c555es cd player in the for sale section. I also have a RP-91 and c222es. Did you already get a 47AI or plan too? Have you compared the video quality to the RP-91? I would be interested in your thoughts of the video differences of the two.

6. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Okay, so should I buy this or the Onkyo DV-SP800? The Pioneer seems to be a very good player on the video side of things which is what I am maily concerned with.

7. Sach

Sach Stunt Coordinator

I would suggest the 47Ai as its a newer player and has the ilink, BurrBrownDacs etc.

However, you should be comparing both the Onkyo and the Pioneer. Onkyo has the THX certification, which I am not sure - how much weight that carries for you. One more component you might want to try is the Yamaha S2300, which has some impressive specs and is trickling in to the dealers right now.

8. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

What is ilink? And no, THX does not carry alot of weight with me. If a component is good without THX certification, then who cares. But at the same time, it doesn't hurt either. I really just want to make a good decision. I have been wantin a higher end dvd player for awhile now, and if I can get a high end video player that also comes with sacd and dvd audio then I will be very happy. I just want to make sure I am not waisting my money.

9. Sach

Sach Stunt Coordinator

From the Pioneer website:

"Its dual i-Link outputs pass both new and exciting multi-channel music formats (DVD-Audio, SACD) in the digital domain to a receiver (like our VSX-49TXi) with a single cable, for unprecedented purity and convenience"

10. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Sach, so are you saying I can use 1 digital cable to pass dvd-audio and sacd signals??? I am kind of confused, I thought the only wat to listen to those formats was through 5.1 inputs. Please clarify. Thanks.

11. Mark Davenport

Technically passing SACD and DVD-A has been very possible but the record companies wouldn't allow it because they were afraid of people copying the new high rez formats. The Pionneer Ilink is simply Texas Instruments standard firewire interface and it will pass all DVD-A and SACD through it no compression and SACD will pass it's DSD stream without being re converted to PCM. Ilink is not propietary so any other company that puts out a receiver that will accept firewire audio will be able to use it although no one beside Pioneer has done that yet. Denon has a similar digital connection call denonlink but it is proprietary and will not work with other units.

12. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Mark, so basically what you are saying is that ilink is useless to those who do not have fire wire inputs on the back of our receivers? Is firewire the future of listening to dvd audio and sacd?

13. Mark Davenport

Yea Ilink is useless unless you have a receiver that has a firewire input and right now the only one that does is the Pioneer 49txi. As far as the future for a digital interface I would say Ilink/firewire probably is, either that or some form of DVI interface. One thing is for sure for SACD/DVD-A to take off the industry will need to adopt a single digitial interface, this 6 analog cable crap won't cut it.

14. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Mark, I agree, I have spent a ton of money on audio cables over the past year due to the 5.1 inputs for sacd and dvd audio. I guess they have to move one step at a time. At least they now have players that play both formats. There will be one less component in my system now. Want to buy a Sony sacd player???