Verdict on Denon 3800 and 9000?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ManojM, Jun 18, 2002.

1. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

There was an enormous amount of discussion on this and AVSforum about these two players, but much of it has died down. Obviously there is some disappointment with the chroma bug being present, other bugs in the 3800, and these have been reported in various reviews. What has not been discussed is how the performance and value of these players compares to others in their price class. I would like to get a forum verdict on these units.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

There aren't too many players in the price class of the '9000, and the ones that are (e.g., the Camelot player) are rarely discussed here. I would be curious to hear how the '3800 compares to the Sony DVP-S9000ES and Arcam FMJ DV27 in terms of sound quality with CDs and picture quality.

3. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

As far as I know, not many people are impressed with the Denon DVD-3800.

4. Chris Madalena

Chris Madalena Stunt Coordinator

My local hi-fi joint told me last night that Denon will be fixing the chroma issue in 4th quarter. New units that ship will have a new mpeg chip, and existing units can be upgraded. Don't know how valid this info is, and I'm taking it w/a grain of salt. If they do fix the chroma issue, I know where my money is going.......

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chris, if this is true, then I can't understand why Denon rushed the players to market. Does Denon have any sense of credibility? You've got to cover all the bases when you are selling $1200 and $3500 components.

6. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

oops!

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Pamela said:

8. Chris Madalena

Chris Madalena Stunt Coordinator

Keith, I whole heartedly agree with you. Denon did rush these players to market. It's a shame because these could have been the one's. Guess we'll see what they do.

9. Robert A. Willis Jr.

Robert A. Willis Jr. Second Unit

I have a 9000 and so far it is very, very good. The Video is sensational. The audio needs to burn in before a final verdict can be made, but it sounds very good indeed. I posted a brief report on AVSForum. There didn't seem to be any interest over here.

rw

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chris, admittedly, I haven't used the '3800 or '9000 yet. Obviously, Robert is happy with his '9000. However, even a hint of a chroma bug with these models is inexcusable in my book for three basic reasons:
    1) Price: Progressive-scan DVD isn't new, and players priced $1200 and $3500 should be completely free of the chroma bug.
    2) Denon got it right with a cheaper player: If Denon can market a chroma bug-free player for $500 (DVD-1600), it sure as he// can for $1200 and $3500.
    3) Denon's been there before: The DVD-2800 was highly anticipated when it was first announced. There was some hot debate here at that time as to whether it or the Sony DVP-S9000ES would be the better player videowise. Once the '2800 came out, so did the disappointing sentiments. Here was an $800 player with so much potential that, in the end, didn't deliver. Denon should have learned from this blunder in designing the '3800 and '9000.
    I know my comments are harsh, but we are talking about $1200 and $3500 players here. Denon should have taken its time to get it right, period.