What's new

Venus crossing the sun (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
If the sun rises, please go take a look, WEARING ECLIPSE SPECTACLES. Never look at the sun directly, not even for a short moment, not even with sunglasses.

For only less than an hour from the moment I post this, you can still see the planet Venus crossing before the sun, it's a very tiny black spot. It has been going on for almost three hours now and will soon be over.

This has not happened for 122 years, so it's rather special.

Here's a site with a webcam (Dutch, but the picture speaks for itself): Venus Crossing The Sun. When it's over it won't show much interesting anymore, I'm afraid.

Cees

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Update: The planet is leaving the edge of the sun NOW.
Last chance to see it life. I trust you will get pictures everywhere soon.

Cees

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Yes, but it won't happen in Britain for a couple of hundred years, and that's all that matters. :D

I tried to watch this morning but after several days of lovely blue cloudless skies, this morning it was overcast. :frowning:

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

That figures. I remember the last time there was a solar eclipse it was beautiful weather the two or three days before it happened and then it was stormy the day of. Aargh!

I hope to be around to catch the one in 2012.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Andrew,

We had warm weather without any overcast. I didn't have a piece of eclipse glass, so I used 5 sunglasses over each other. :laugh:

Your current clouds are coming this way, I believe, if that's just a tiny bit of consolation to you.

Cees

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Man, and I thought Return of the King had a lot of time between showtimes... ;)

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
This is irritating to say the least -- I started up a thread on this exact same subject last night, and nobody posted a single response. And look, it's still on the first page of threads!

I feel kind-of rejected.

:)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Well, looking out of my window there's even more clouds coming towards you. It's v. humid and oppressive here at the moment, and I suspect rain/thunder is on its way. Saves watering the garden this evening, I suppose.

Anyway, I got to see the transit on live TV, which I suppose is nearly the same thing...

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Dana,

Sorry for that - my fault. I tried to instantly get people to their feet at sunrise. Noted your thread only later. I'll reply to your thread right now! :)

Mark,

Thanks, I'll keep an eye open and an umbrella close by. Right now those clouds seem to rise when they enter here, giving us a watery sunshine.

Cees

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Fortunately, no one was present (at my home) that moment. :laugh:

I clipped two of those clip-on sunglasses to my prescription sunglasses. Three years ago I had purchased a fitover in LA (never seen them here in Europe), put another clip-on inside that and "fitted" it over my sunglasses. It sort of held and I could watch the sun (after a several seconds) enough to actually see Venus.

A few years ago, the 'real' eclipse happened while I was at the hospital where I used to work, and we all used two or more layers of exposed photographic film (from the radiology department). Much better than my 5-layer sunglass solution. Classic is the smoked glass approach, of course. One never seems to have one's standard eclipse-glasses ready and in one's pocket at moments like this. ;)

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks