Venturer AV1000 HTIB

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ken Finch, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Ken Finch

Ken Finch Auditioning

I have recently purchased a Venturer AV1000 100 watt 5.1 HTIB System for $99.00 Canadian from Walmart. I have it hooked up to my Symphonic 32" Stereo Analog TV and my JVC Stereo VCR and Cyberhome DVD Player. I then purchased a 2.1 Britz Speaker System that had a 25 watt 6.5" Active Subwoofer that came with 2 25 watt Satellites that had 4" Mids and 1" Tweeters in each satellite. I replaced the Front L/R Venturer 2" Satellites with these Britz Satellites. I then purchased a used Fisher 80 watt Center Speaker that had a 3" Mid and a 4" Woofer in it to replace the Venturer 2" Satellite. I then took the 2 spare 2" Venturer Satellites and glued them on top of the 2 Rear L/R 2" Satellites and wired them up internally in parallel so that my rear satellites each have 2 2" mids in each rear satellite. I then took some spare Sony 4" Subs of of my Sony Ghetto Blaster that had a broken CD Drive and hooked them up to to L/R connections on the Britz Subwoofer. I connected the Britz and Sony Subs up to the LFE on my Venturer Receiver. I have been using this setup for about 2 weeks now and I find the sound to be clear, as well as I have lots of bass as well, I can feel it in my chest when watching a movie on my couch 8' away from the subs. I have a very limited budget so this is what I could get within my budget. I wanted everything to be separates so that when I upgrade I can upgrade a piece at a time. What do you think of this beginners system? Be kind please.

Thanks,
    Ken Finch

2. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Reminds me of things I had to do to my '65 Fairlane to keep it running in high school! [​IMG] But hey, when your on a budget, that's what you gotta do. Probably not what I would have done though. Was that kind enough?

3. Ken Finch

Ken Finch Auditioning

Well I may upgrade the speakers later on. I saw a set of KLH Speakers at Factory Direct for $69.00 Canadian. They consist of L/R Front Satellites, L/R Rear Satellites and a Center Satellite. It also comes with a 6.5" 50 watt Active Subwoofer. Would this be a good upgrade for my system?

Thanks,
    Ken Finch

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Unfortunately, you're not going to be able to upgrade very far with that system.

If you upgrade the speakers, its not goin to go too far with an poor performing amp/reciever. You need a good foundation to build your system on.

Also, KLH speakers aren't that great.

My friend bought a similar kind of super value entry level HT from FutureShop, it was a Curtis. Low end everything, the reciever didnt even do DTS. These systems are more for people who just want a basic HT and not planning to upgrade in the future.

Honestly, if i were you, i'd save up for a bit, check out the HTIBs from Kenwood, which have some pretty decent recievers, and okay speakers. Or, get an entry level reciever from Kenwood, Sony, etc. and if you're really on a budget, the Fluance HT speaker system, or Rockets (do a search, theyve been known for having some pretty good bang for the buck).

5. Ken Finch

Ken Finch Auditioning

Well you are right Nickso. I like the way my system sounds right now. So I will leave it as is tell I can save up for better speakers and a better receiver. Then I will have to save some more for a better HDTV Widescreen TV.

6. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    I agree with Nick. KLH, though not bad for $69, wouldn't represent much of an upgrade for even the most basic speaker system. Save up for something that will provide a much bigger overall improvement. Some of these htib's like Kenwood, Onkyo, Yamaha, etc. sound real good for not much money. Refurbs, closeouts and open box items are also an option. The search is half the fun!

7. John Brill

John Brill Supporting Actor

I'd love to see pics of this set-up [​IMG]

JB

8. Stasys

Stasys Auditioning

Stan Fisher
    This amp is available now for $20. The good thing this amp has a sub out (I think). U can use passive sub or active sub w not working amp, what u can get cheap. Then connect direct to the sub's woofer. And passive sub sounds better than active at low volume. Active will shutt off auto. I like to listen radio in a bedroom and do not need a powerfull amp or big sub. I like sonetimes low volume music. This is just the right one. U do not need any hi-eds.If u need louder sound , use big fronts 4 ohms tower speakers, like Sounstage. I Connected my Definitive Bipolar fronts to 2 x 2.5 W Coby CX-CD377 and they sound pretty lout for those 2.5 W.