Vented subwoofers and dampening questions.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Neil Joseph, Sep 23, 2001.

1. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Line the walls with batting material, but I wouldn't worry about adding polyfill material unless you are just experimental in nature, if so, I would not go beyond 25% fill (100% = 1 pound per 1 ft^3).

3. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Now is polyester batting something like cotton ball material (that you clean your face with)? What exactly is polyfill material? The stuff I bought is more solid like the cushony pillows and looks like the bottom of an egg carton (bumpy). I got enough to cover about 80^ of the side walls of the sonotube. I have not bought anything yet to stick on the interior of the endcaps. I need to know how much of this stuff I shoulf be using and what to use (and how much) on the endcaps.
    Thanks for what may be a dumb question.
    orangeman
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Check out this thread for pictures of polyfill and batting.
    There's no "right" answer to your question. Some feel the inclusion of the padding on the walls make a difference, others don't. If you're determine about using the egg crate foam, then line the walls with one layer of the stuff.
    As far as the endcap, you're better off building a "tilt" in interior of one of the endcap surfaces so you don't get waves bouncing straight up and down. But one layer of the foam should be sufficient as well.
    My Sunosub I doesn't have any lining or stuffing, and it sounds fine to me. Sunosub II has polyester batting lining the insides, and it sounds fine to me. Sunosub III is stuffed 25% with polyfill (24 ounces in a 6 ft^3 enclosure) and it lowered the tuning frequency from 16Hz to 12Hz and helped in transient response.
    ------------------
    PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I think what I may do is use the eggcrate foam to cover 80% of the sidewall and then use a 1" layer of the soft foamy cotton stuff on the exposed areas of the endcaps. I do not want to overdampen.
    orangeman
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1