Veneer on both sides?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SalMaglie, Nov 13, 2001.

1. SalMaglie

SalMaglie Stunt Coordinator

I've read in other forums that specialize in veneer that you should apply the veneer to both sides of the substrate if you're doing something like a dining room table. Makes a lot of sense since wood moves with seasonal changes in temperature and humidity, and treating both sides the same way helps for a finished project that won't split/crack. I was just wondering if any of you speaker builders do the same, or do you just apply the veneer to the exterior?

2. Rob Lloyd

Rob Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

I would just use it on 1 side. It's a small enough area and MDF is stable enough I don't think it's necessary.
    If it was a 5'x5' sub enclosure that may be more of a concern but I still think that would be ok too for a speaker. Being a box it has lots of support all around where a table doesn't and could easily warp/twist/cup if both sides weren't the same.
    I just finished a 2 day veneering class w/ someone who's been doing veneer for about 15-20 years and those were his opinions. Others may differ...

3. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I would veneer only 1 side. If you are concerned with moisture affecting the substrate, just seal the otherside with primer/paint. It wouldn't be worth the cost of the veneer to do both sides.

4. Mac F

Mac F Agent

The purpose of the veneer on the back side is to oppose the tendency of the front veneer to warp the board with changes in humidity. The second veneer would make it warp the other way, thus canceling it. The second veneer does not have to be the same as the first (use something inexpensive). The other way to minimize wood movement is to physically restrain it. Presumably any speaker enclosure will be sufficiently braced to secure the panels, even if only one side is veneered. This may not apply to any speaker stands or shelves.
    Finishing the surface (paint, varnish, oil, etc.) may slow down the entry of moisture, but will not stop it completely.