Veneer for beginners

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Rich-R, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Rich-R

Rich-R Extra

I am planning on finishing by sub with a cherry veneer but I am not sure what kind of veneer is easiest to work with but still look good. It will just be flat and on the sides. The corners will be solid maple along with a maple "table top." Paper backed? Non backed? Help. rich

2. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Second Unit

I used paper backed veneer and contact cement for my speakers and sub. I was a little intimidated at first having never veneered before but it turned out great. Doing just the flat sides of a sub should be easy. Do a search in this forum for "Brian Bunge veneer question" and you'll find good tips.

3. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

The absolute easiest is either Peel & Stick backing (think contact paper application) or the iron-on hot melt backing. You can find them available online at Tape Ease for the P&S or Tape Ease for the hot melt.

Pete

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I had trouble with the iron-on stuff sticking on the edges... I'll vote for the paper-backed w/contact adhesive. I used the water-based adhesive. I know some here detest the H2O based stuff, but I've never had trouble with it.

5. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

I used peel-and-stick once, a few years ago, as it was my first attempt at veneering. If you go that way for ease and minimum intimidation, be sure your MDF surface is very clean. Use a tack rag and then wipe with solvent - mineral spirits or alcohol and let dry for a while. For your next project (and there WILL be a next [​IMG]), you can move on to 10-mil paper-backed veneer. That's where you'll get your largest variety and best quality veneer.

6. Bob K

Bob K Stunt Coordinator