Velodyne?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ShaunD, Jul 18, 2002.

1. ShaunD

ShaunD Extra

I have around $900 US to spend on speakers. I'm considering the Velodyne CHT (Classic Home Theater)
    satalites and center, and the JBl PB-12(after reading Chucksters $850 home theater II). After seeing Secrets
    review on the Velodynes they seem like a pretty good choice. My listening is about 50/50
    Movie/Music with an emphasis on movies.

Does anyone have experience with either of these, or suggestions for other speakers/subs around the same price range?

2. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

Velodyne makes a good sub. Can you get a good price on a package?

3. ShaunD

ShaunD Extra

I found the set, minus sub, for $270US on the net and $400US locally. Not sure if this is a good price or not.
    Also after reading some on the SVS it seems like an awesome sub, but the room for my HT is only about 12x10 (bedroom) so I don't know, would that sub would be too powerful? I believe the model I was looking at had a -39 on the end of the model number.

4. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    ShaunD: I went with the Velodyne CHT12 over the JBL PB12 after auditioning them both. I've had my CHT12 for a couple of months. I listen to mostly music(70/30)and I've been deliriously happy with it. I wanted something tight enough for music yet could still cover light HT duties. This unit fills the bill beautifully! I also listened to the CHT15 as well but it seemed a bit sluggish for the type of music I listen to. Audition a CHT12 if you can!

5. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

Have you thought about a SVS/ I have two and they are great. I returned my CHT 10". It was very very boomy. The svs has bass you can feel.

6. ShaunD

ShaunD Extra

Brian Bowles: Do you think the SVS would be too powerful for a room the size of mine (approx 11'x10'), or would it sound too boomy? Also I plan on having a 7.1 setup with the Denon 3802. One last question; would it be a good idea to get the CHT's and add two surrounds or just buy 3 JBL S36's for up front and four S26's for the rear?

7. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Dear Shaun,
    Thanks for the plug! Let's get down to business...with $900 for speakers, I would think beyond the Velo CHT package. I own JBL S38s (mains and rears), and find that they make for a clean, vocal, tight sounding home theater plus they look nice. The S-center is very articulate sounding too. Thus, I recommend the studio series.
    Also, no way an SV sub would sound boomy in a small room. So maybe you ought to increase your budget [​IMG].

8. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

Velodynes are known for their flagship subs, but not for their speakers. I'd take the JBLs over the Velodynes anyday. However, look at Home Theater Direct speakers too.

9. ShaunD

ShaunD Extra

Chuck: Do you think it would be worth it to get the S38's for surrounds and mains, or just as mains and go S26's for rears; i've heard that the rear channels normally only produce ambient noise and background sounds in movies, thus not as good/powerful speakers are needed? But then again they might be worth it for music? Also, the S-center is made from plastic, correct? Does this affect the sound in any way, if so would another S-38 be a good choice for a center?

10. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

ShaunD the SVS subs are not boomy at all. For that size room you may only need one. My room is 20'x15' with 12' ceilings so I got two. My speakers are the Polk rt-25i bookshelf speakers. They were on sale at Cicuit City for $99 each. I think if you read some of the reviews on them you will find they are a good sounding speaker in that price range. The matching center is the 245i and it sells for $199 but I think it was on sale for $149. I have had a lot of compliments on my setup. I think sounds really good for the money that I spent. If I were going to buy more expensive speakers I would look at the PSB or the Divas. I know the PSB speakers sounds good but lots of people like the Divas. BTW the top of the line Velodyne speakers are good but they do not compare with the ones that are sold at CC. Those are the bottom of the three lines. The SVS is a really good value for the money in my opinion. I am sure there are some other good sounding speakers out there besides the Polk that I have. I liked the fact that I could listen to these. My cousin has Klipsch speakers and he swears by those. I have just have the Klipsch pro media computer speakers. Klipsch has a good description of their speakers at their site. I do hear that they are real bright. Some people like that and some do not.

11. ShaunD

ShaunD Extra

Brian Bowles: I'll have to check out the Polk's, how long ago did you buy them; wonder if there still on sale? And how do they compare to the JBL's?

12. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

I honestly can not tell you how they compare. They are the RT-25i speakers. I got them in Decemember but my friend just got some here in Augusta about a month ago. I would think they are better than the JBL speakers but I honestly do not know. Let me look for a review. Also do a search here for them.

13. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer