What's new

Velodyne vs SVS (1 Viewer)

MarshawnM

Stunt Coordinator
All,
First off, thanks for your opinons on speaker selection in the $2100 dollar range. J you where right on with the B&W's. We listened to them all day (about four hours). My buddy went with this
B&W LCR6 S2 (Center)
B&W 603 S2 (FR & FL)
B&W 602 S2 (RL & RL)
I traded in my Infinity's for this same setup! Picking it up on Saturday!
The place even let me bring my Onkyo 787 to listen to the B&W 's with!
Now we need a good HT theater sub, we don't really care about music CD sound as this is for HT. While listening to the B&W 's, we had an Velodyne CT-120 connected. I sounded great, but many of you swear by the SVS series. So how do the two compare? The Velodyne is about $550, which SVS would you compare this up against? And yes my buddy is over his budget! LOL

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Marshawn,
Congrats on an incredible system, you'll enjoy it for many years to come :)
It's the exact set-up I have, except I have the 604s in front....but you knew this, I gave you the suggestion. I just added (a month ago) the 20-39PC from SVS and couldn't be happier...if you go SVS, you won't be disappointed.
E-mail Ron and Tom about the specs of your room size and they'll give you all the info you need.
Jeremy

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Sorry, didn't read the rest of your post.
Velodyne makes great subs, but the CT series is there entry level sub.
They don't compare to the entry level SVS subs, plain and simple. At $550, your possibilities are the CS line, however you'll need out board amplification. Another $200 will get you a powered cylinder.
Jeremy

Michael Roderiques

Stunt Coordinator
Well the budget is blown so why stop now?
The CT series is an entry level product for Velodyne. They are very good subs, play down low with good output.
Tom N has given them some good reviews and seems to like the performance.
In looking at the speakers that are being used in this system. I would think that the SPL or HGS series would be more in line with this system.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>Now we need a good HT theater sub, we don't really care about music CD sound as this is for HT. While listening to the B&W 's, we had an Velodyne CT-120 connected. I sounded great, but many of you swear by the SVS series. So how do the two compare? The Velodyne is about $550, which SVS would you compare this up against? And yes my buddy is over his budget! LOL

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
if your buddy is over budget, tell him to take the 603 back and exchange for the 601, and move the 602 to the front (they sound better anyway, IMHO) since you own both do a comparison. If you are for sure going to buy a good sub, I would have gotten the CDM1NT for the front, and 601 for the rear. The cdm series is slightly better, but when I compare my 602s to my CDM7NT there isn't as big of a difference as you would expect, but IT IS THERE. Just a thought. GOOD LUCK, either way, its a great system.

MarshawnM

Stunt Coordinator
Rodney,
We listen to the system with the 602's in front and the 601's in the rear. We both agreed that the sound stage lost something with the 601's in the rear. The sound did not fill the room, and his room is bigger than the one we listened to the equipment in. I just wish we could go and listen to a SVS sub! I'll keep you posted.

Kevin Biller

Agent
Marshawn,
Nice choice of B&W speakers. I currently have 602's as fronts and a CDM-CNT center. My surrounds are Paradigm MiniMonitors. Surprisingly the mix of brands blends very nicely. Next upgrade is the 602's as rears and CDM-1NT's for fronts.
I am running this setup with dual SVS 20-39, Samson amp and ART eq combo. The blend is wonderful and SVS provides outstanding output. I have listened to many custom speaker setups with subs by Paradigm, M&K and Velo and I prefer my SVS combo to everything I have heard. They cost a little more with duty and exchange to Canada, but in my opinion have been worth every penny!
If you decide to go SVS, you won't regret it. After reading dozens of glowing reviews, it starts to become more than just hype. Speaking from my own experience, the hype DOES live up to reality.

Matt Everett

Stunt Coordinator
I am also doing a little SVS vs. Velodyne research and thought I would get everyone's opinion as well.
Right now I am looking at the Velodyne CT-100, which would cost $300, and the SVS 25-31 PC, which is $670. I know the SVS has a better amp, driver, and specs. If money weren't the issue there would be no contest. I don't have to have tons of bass volume, but I want tight, musical bass. That is the key issue. Has anyone gone from the CT-100 to the 25-31? If so, what kind of improvement did you find?
Any and all opinions are wanted. Here are a couple of factors to consider:
1) I live in an apartment and can't crank any subwoofer really high, so reference volume levels probably won't happen too often.
2) My main speakers are 4 Phase Technology Teatro 4.5's and 1 Teatro 6.5--- They are really good, transparent and clean sounding speakers, but probably not quite up to the standard of some of the better speakers around. I don't want to put too much money into bass after economizing with the Teatros. That said, their treble response and imaging are really very good, so coupling them with any tight, musical subwoofer should yield good results.
Many thanks,
Matt
------------------

Personally, I'd rather wait a bit and get what I really want than always wish I had something else or think about upgrading. I had the same debate between the SVS 16-46 and the SVS Ultra.
Nice system, enjoy!

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Matt,
How large is the listening area and what type of music do you enjoy?(any pipe organs?)
Not needing reference levels...isn't indicating what you DO need :)
What do you think the max volume setting end up at during those action oriented DVDs?(6dB under,12dB under reference?)
TV

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks