Velodyne vs. Earthquake

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Sonnie Parker, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker Second Unit

I've supposedly sold my Velodyne HGS-15 (couple of deals pending in case one falls through) and am now going to buy 2 subs to replace it for our home theater room.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to 2:

Earthquake MKV-15 vs. Velodyne HGS-15X

Pricing will be basically the same for both.

I know it sounds crazy that I'd go back with the HGS after just selling mine but I can't get the same matching finishes between the old model HGS and the new model.

Any ideas on which would be better for pure home theater use since I'm a 99% HT guy? This is a tough decision for me.

2. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

You know the standard answers....

3. Sonnie Parker

Yup... you are probably right... I guess I was hoping someone had come up with something new.

4. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Do you have a local EQ dealer that will let you take a demo unit home for a weekend? You know what you can expect from the hgs15. The EQ15 will definitely have more output capability...but it will also sound a bit different too. The larger the room(and the louder you tend to push action oriented DVDs)...the more sense the EQ15s might make here?

Tom V.
    SVS

5. Sonnie Parker

Actually the room is very small... 1800 cubic feet and completely sealed.

I just want my ears to bleed! Not really... I'm not sure what I'm after.

6. Sonnie Parker

Oh yeah... no local EQ dealer... that's my biggest fear. I really liked the one HGS-15 and if truth be known it was probably enough by itself.

I fear I may not like the sound of the EQ as I know it is going to introduce more distortion at the super low octaves.

I think whole idea here is that I just wanted to see what 2 would be like as I've heard several people talk about loading a room with 2 subs is incredible... and I was having a problem finding a matching unit for my previous HGS.

7. Eric Hargrove

Eric Hargrove Stunt Coordinator

Hi Sonnie,

Because your room is so small, I would lean towards the Velodyne route myself. I do tend to believe TomV has a valid point (as usual). If it's slam you're after, more tactile feel, the Earthquake subs may be better. Is SVS an option for you? Being that you have had Velodyne in the past and are used to a sub with very low distortion, I thought they too might be worth a look.

8. Sonnie Parker

Yes... I have considered the SVS... I may end up giving them a try... maybe even comparing them head up vs 2 HGS-15's.

9. Eric Hargrove

I already know objectively how SVS stacks up against the HGS Velodynes but would be curious to hear your subjective impressions.

10. Sonnie Parker

Well two SVS PB12-plus/2's are on the order board and will ship this week... it won't be long before I know. I spent 4 years with the HGS-15 and I have a few reference DVD's I love that I can compare... although it will not be a true heads up. To be fair ... I can only connect one SVS initially to compare it to the HGS-15. Plus if I'm gonna let the HGS-15's go then I'd rather let them go in an unopened box. None the less I'll definitely give the two SVS's a spin jointly.

I've always said I wanted to try out SVS so this is my opportunity.

11. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

Just made the switch to Hsu from Velodyne. I replaced a Spl-1000 v 2 with a STF-3. No comparison. The Hsu wins hands down. The Velo is good if space is tight, and is better than most subs in stores. It's size really did limit it though.

12. Eric Hargrove

Sonnie,

You ordered a couple of the highest bang for buck subs SVS offers, I think you will be impressed. Mackie, that is a bit surprising to me that the STF-3 would be that much better than the SPL-1000. HSU builds some quality stuff![​IMG]

13. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

Eric, here are my thoughts on the two subs. It's a long post and maybe more info than you wanted.

The velodyne isn't a bad sub, and I still recommend it if space is tight or WAF is a factor. If a speaker can be beautiful, I would characterize it that way. It never, ever gave me any problems. I switched mainly to see what all the talk was about the super subs and the 20hz material in movies I was missing. I'd read enough professional and amateur reviews of Hsu to feel comfortable with the brand.

What really surprised me was how much better the Hsu sounds when playing music. It's much cleaner and I hear detail that I didn't pick up on before, and the sub simply disappears with music. I wasn't expecting this since the Spl series has such a good reputation as a musical sub. At times the Velodyne would draw attention to itself with music. Apparently, to get the high spl the Velodyne produces a lot of distortion which covers up some of the material. It could play loud, and I could get 90dB at 25hz which isn't too bad. However, it really fell off after that.

Another advantage the Hsu has is a dramatic increase headroom. The output of this sub is ridiculous! After I set up the velodyne and calibrated the system, the sub was pretty much maxed out. The Hsu was much easier to set up and integrate into my system because of the extra reserves. I use a BFD and I was able to get a flatter frequency response with it verses the Velodyne which I believe is related to its ability to reach high output levels.

With movies, the Hsu digs much deeper and reveals much more detail than the other one. The Velodyne would play loud but it all tended to sound the same. At times I would turn the volume down because it was so loud. I'm not doing that with the Hsu since it matches the volume of my mains much more consistently.

Another thing that is important is that I didn't what a sub to dominate the room because of its size. While the Hsu is probably 4x the size of the Velodyne, it only takes up 2x the floor space.

My HT room is pretty large and the best output I could get from the Velo was 90 db at 25hz. With the hsu, I can get 85 dB at 16 hz with my mains calibrated at 90 dB. I imagine I can do better since the sub has so much power in reserve.

In a smaller room like a 12x12x8 where space is at a premium, I think the Velodyne would be a good fit. I doubt you'd get as much distortion and have more headroom to play with.

I suspect that anyone would get similar results as I got with the Hsu with a SVS. With price and space considerations, the Hsu was the best fit for me.

14. Sonnie Parker

I think you'd have to step up to the HGS to out perform the HSU. There is a trememdous difference in the design and intentions between the SPL and the HGS. The problem then lies in the drastic price differences.

15. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

Yeah, I'd like to hear the HGS or the DD line to see how they do. I don't doubt they are amazing, but the price thing...

16. Eric Hargrove

Mackie,

Thanks for your thoughts. I just didn't realize there would be that large of a difference. After all, HSU does make some subs that are considerably even more powerful still than an STF-3. Like you, I also went from a Velodyne (CT120) to something far more potent, a CS Ultra. Of course later I had to add another! I would still like to hear an HSU as I've yet to hear anyone unhappy with them.

17. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

Yeah, I'd like to hear the HO. At some point I will probably have the STF-3 modified so that it can work with the new turbo. Hsu will add the variable tuning capability to it so it behave pretty much like the Vtf-3.