Velodyne VRP 1200

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by billMain, Mar 22, 2006.

1. billMain

billMain Auditioning

I am having some trouble getting any bass from this sub.
    I have it hooked up to a pioneer 1014TX. I have Polks RT-1000p fronts, Polk 245 center, and Polk M Series for surround. I have the crossover on receiver set to 80 and the sub have it turned all the way up. I know something is wrong with the setup. I went to bestbuy and they had a cheap sub on display and I can clearly hear the bass.

I have DVE and have calibrated just using the test tones. Is there a setting on the receiver I am missing?

Room is upstairs. Dont have exact dimensions but its a little smaller than a 2 car garage, with 2 doors in the back.

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Are your speakers set to Small in your receiver?

3. billMain

billMain Auditioning

Yeah they are all set to small

4. billMain

billMain Auditioning

Not sure what more i can do. How is this sub reviewed by other members in this forum?

If not think I should spend another $100 and get the SVS PB-10?

Just wiush I can get something out of this sub before I take it back.

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Something is definitely wrong. Some receivers have a subwoofer “Yes/No” option. Make sure the sub option is enabled, and make sure the receiver’s subwoofer level is turned up. Last resort, check your connection cable. If everything lines out and you still have no output, return it to the store and see if they can connect it to an existing system. The sub could be bad right out of the box. That’s pretty rare, but it does happen.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

6. Gralen

Gralen Stunt Coordinator

hello bill I had the same problem. It was solved when I set the reciever(Yamaha 1200) to subwoofer. I dont know if Pioneer has it but the dsp10 that I had only worked when set at small and subwoofer or main and subwoofer(both on my menu) on my reciever good luck

7. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    Bill,

The test tones on DVE do not take into account the fact that DD AVRs elevate the sub signal 10dB by Dolby specs. Therefore, if you balanced the sub to the same SPL as all your other speakers, it will be 10dB below where it should be. If you calibrate to reference (00dB), set all the speakers (sans sub) to 75dB, and the sub to 85dB (ie. the sub pink noise signal level on DVE is the same as the other speakers, but does not factor in the AVRs "boost" - AVIA does not have this problem). Of course, set all of your other speakers to "small", and double-check the sub's phase. Hope this helps!

8. Steve>JF

Steve>JF Agent

Bill...Check the Velodyne website. This sub must be connected using a Y-connector to feed both left and right low level inputs to get the maximum power from the sub and allow the Auto on/off feature to work properly. Do you have it connected that way? This problem was discovered after the manual was printed and a bulletin was added to future manuals when the problem was found. Also, the website talks about it (click on the VRP Series in "PRODU
    CTS". This may not be your problem, but you should get more power from your sub. Good Luck.