What's new

Velodyne VRP-1000 or JBL E250P...? (1 Viewer)

David-C

Auditioning
I am buying one of these subs today. Which would you buy?

1) Velodyne VRP-1000 for $180 shipped (fits in my cabinet nicely)

2) JBL E250P for $250 shipped (has to lay on its side to fit in my cabinet)

Let me know your thoughts...

Thanks!

RyanJE

Second Unit
I dont know about the Velodyne, but I have the E250p. It may disapoint you.

In you price range you have two decent options.
(1) Save up 200 more and By an SVS-pb10.(Not sure it would fit in your cabinet)

(2) Get a 10" dayton from here. www.partsexpress.com

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Part number #300-632 for the $125 Dayton sub at PE. By all accounts, a great sub for the price.

David-C

Auditioning
The Dayton is 3/4" too tall for my opening. Since it is down-firing, I don't think it would be a good idea to flip it on its side.

I went ahead and orderd Velodyne VRP-1200 instead of the VRP-1000. I got it for $215 shipped from Overstock.com.

Before I bought it, I called Velodyne to verify that it would be okay to turn it sideways (going to the 1200 means it didn't quite fit either). They told me it's fine, no worries. The guy also told me that getting the 12" over the 10" was smart since it takes two 10's to equal one 12. Is that true?

Thanks for your feedback.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Sort of, but not exactly; it depends on a lot of factors. I've heard a number of single 10" drivers that sound better and go lower than many 12". It all depends on what it is designed to do.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I reviewed the VRP-1200 a few months ago (see subwoofer link in my signature) and I wasn’t overly impressed with it. It was a rather loose and undefined. Still, at $215 wouldn’t be a bad deal. It will get down to 25 Hz if your room is small enough.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
So I take it the SVS-pb10 would not have fit on it's side either?

David-C

Auditioning
At 21.5", the SVS-pb10 was is too deep (unless I cut out the back of my wall unit). Not to mention it was twice as much money.

This is my first sub... I'm still learning. I hope I like the Velodyne. I don't have anything to compare it to. I hope I like it.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
David the VRP-1200 should be OK for a starter sub. Probably similar to my starter sub, the Velo CHT-12. I little loose, but decent extension. I've since owned a SVS PB-10 and a SVS PC-Ultra. The PB-10 is the best sub you can buy for under $800. It even out performs some of it's SVS big brothers. At $429 it's a steal!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks