What's new

Velodyne VA-810 - best way to connect to Denon 3803 (1 Viewer)

Richard C

Grip
My current sub is a Velodyne VA810 from the early 1990s. Has in internal 85Hz fixed crossover. Inputs on the back are line level and speaker level inputs. Instructions say to hook it up to the stereo speaker outputs and let it's internal crossover do the work. There is not an option to bypass the crossover and hook directly to the 3803s mono sub output.

Questions:

1) To take advantage of the 5.1 capability of my new 3803, I need to hook up to the mono sub output, correct?

2) If so, is it reasonable to take that mono output and run it directly into either one or both of the line level inputs?

3) How is that type of arrangement typically handled within the AVR setup?

4) Would just scrapping this sub and buying a newer one be the only reasonable solution.

Thanks!

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Richard,

1. Yes, hook the sub up to the sub output of your Denon, and disable the crossover on the sub itself.

2. You should be able to hook it up to either one of the inputs. If you have trouble getting the sub to "wake up" when the amp comes on, feel free to use a y splitter to hook the receiver up to both the inputs on the sub.

3. See above.

4. That's a tougher question. I'm not very familiar with that sub, so it depends on how large your room is, your listening tastes (volume and material), and how happy you are with your sub now.

-Robb

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you have the manual, does it say that this fixed x-over is also in effect if you are using line level? If not, you may not have an issue at all.

If it IS in effect, you might end up with a gap above the x-over frequency, depending on your receiver's x-over and your other speakers. If you can spare the $$, a new sub might not be a bad idea, but it is not the only solution.

Your alternative is to hook the sub up via speaker level, then feed the mains from the outputs of the sub and set your mains to large, using the sub's x-over to blend the mains with the sub.

Richard C

Grip
I do have the manual, and it does say that when using the line level inputs that the "satellite speakers will be crossed over at 85 cycles removing the lower bass from ... your speakers". Also, there doesn't appear to be any way to disable the crossover.

Later in the manual, it states "Some surround sound receivers have a "subwoofer out" jack that is already crossed over and designed to be used with a conventional amplifier and speaker. If this is the case, since the Velodyne subwoofer has a built-in crossover, connect the Velodyne to the front or main channel output of your receiver. Combining the crossover of the Velodyne with the crossover of the processor will result in low gain and increased noise."

This is what's raising my question. I believe I need to get to the 3803's subwoofer out jack to get the full 5.1 information. But I'm not sure how to do it and avoid the noise and low gain referenced above.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Richard,

It sounds like you really have two choices: 1) use the line level connection for the sub, and set the receiver so that your speakers are all large with no sub, or 2) get a new sub.

-Robb

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks