What's new

Velodyne to SVS upgrade, is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

kryten_tl

Agent
Real Name
Tom Ledoux
Hi All,

I currently have a Velodyne DLS-3750 sub in my Home Theater. After recently adding an Outlaw 7500 amp to power the speakers, I noticed how much the extra power helped improve the speakers sound quality. So I've started thinking about upgrading my Velodyne to either an SVS PB12-Plus/2 or the PB12-Ultra. While I am not unhappy with the sound from the Velodyne, I just wonder if the SVS will be better (certainly just from a power stand point alone). Has anyone out there also done a similar upgrade?

My HT room is quite large, 24' x 18' with a ceiling that extends to the second floor of my house. My HT system is:

Fronts: Polk RTi10
Surrounds: Polk TC615i
Center: Polk CSi5
Sub: Velodyne DLS-3750R
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V1600
Amplifier: Outlaw 7500
DVD/CD: Sony DVP-CX995V
HDTV: Sony KP-51HW40

Thanks in advance,

TL

BrianTwig

Second Unit
With the new upgraded drivers in the Plus series from SVS they are near the level of the Ultra's and the Ultra's are currently undergoing a renovation/upgrade in their drivers. So a purchase in the near term, I would go with the Plus.

kryten_tl

Agent
Real Name
Tom Ledoux
Hi Brian,

I did read Ron's reply before posting, and it did help me out quite a bit when considering between the two different SVS models. But I really am looking for someone that has done a similar upgrade, since I am not able to hear the SVS in person. But since SVS has a nice 45 return policy (this is a great customer trust tool), I guess I can always just get one and do the comparison myself. The Velodyne sounds a bit muffled (or not quite punchy enough) at times, so I wanted to see if anyone has had both Velodyne and SVS.

TL

Ron Temple

Stunt Coordinator
I owned the Velo DPS10, pretty much the same sub. I currently own a 20-39+. The Velo sounds very nice, but breaks up down low. The SVS crushes it for HT in visceral, clean extention and output. Musically, I'd give it the nod too, though the Velo is no slouch. Expect more from the /+2.

Then again you're spending considerably more for the /+2, so it should.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Tom

Unless you can afford an Ultra/2, you are going to be more pleased with the Plus/2 than a single Ultra. You are approaching 4000 cubic feet. Plus/2 will just pressurize that space significantly more than a single Ultra.

timZa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim

I had a velodyne CHT 12 in my 4000cft room. i was unhappy with the amount of bass. so i found another cht 12 and ran both of them, still unhappy. i recently got a PB12/2 :) blows the Velodyne away 1/4 way up on gain. it will be a major improvement over what you have.

Geoff Gunnell

Stunt Coordinator
Tom, in that big a volume I don't think any single 12" driver will work. There's a current thread on the SVS forum at the Spot by dvdguru, who tried a single Ultra in a large volume and is now using a Plus/2.

I had two CHT12's before I tried a 20-39+ with the previous 12.2 version of the Plus driver. As Ron said, the 20-39+ had a 'deeper voice'. I think you will be happy with the Plus/2

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
I have 4200 sq ft in my room and I was debating this very same issue and Ron from SVS suggested I go with the PLus/2.

kryten_tl

Agent
Real Name
Tom Ledoux
Thanks everyone for your help. I will most likely be getting the PB12-Plus/2 early next month. I'll post back when I do get it hooked up and calibrated.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks