Velodyne Subs ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Moritz, Oct 12, 2002.

1. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I am currently starting to research subwoofers for my HT. I am wondering what you Velodyne owners think of there subs? Am going to look into SVS, Velodyne, Sunfire or I might build my own? If I build my own I am looking at least a single JBL 18" driver. Will have to research an amplifier for that driver but there it is [​IMG] . Would like feedback from anyone who has Velodyne 12's and 15's and what thy think?

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

HGS or CHT?
    For DIY, go do some reading in the DIY advanced section. The 18" JBL will definately not be the way to go (well guess I shouldn't summarily say this, what model?). There are drivers much better suited to HT use that will out perform the JBL 18" and are cheaper.
    If you want massive output and good sound quality here are two that are interesting:
    http://www.missiondigital.net/product.asp?productid=21
    http://www.acoustic-visions.com/tumult.htm
    The first one requires an EQ if you crossover higher than 60hz. The second doesn't. Although for the little over $100 a Behringer 1124P costs every sub should have an EQ.

3. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

Velodyne's are excellent. But if your starting your first HT, definetly check out the SVS line.
    I have a Velodyne CT-120 and a SVS 25-31CS+ and though the Velo is fine, the SVS is a beast.
    I wish I had 2 SVS's. Eventually I will probably sell off the Velo and pick up an extra SVS. Stereo SVS's![​IMG]

4. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

Before I found the SVS Dual Ultras, the Velodyne CT150 was my best buddy. So much that I have it today in the back room equipment archive after a year+ with the Ultras.

5. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I have two ct-150s with a cht 15" amp in one of them. I think they do a great job for the money and better than allot of subs that will cost much more. I to would like duel Ultras or a 15" SVS if they should ever come up with such a thing. They serve me well though and I never lack bass or SPL. They can be had for $500 + or -. Happy shopping[​IMG]

6. Joe Wyant

Joe Wyant Extra

I just got a CHT-12 and love it. It made a huge improvement to the overall sound of my set-up.

Joe

7. Michael Roderiques

Michael Roderiques Stunt Coordinator

Dave It depends on what you are looking for.

Velodyne and SVS are quality sub-woofers. personally, I would not bother with a sunfire.

Your room size is going to be a big factor in the choices you have.

you will need to know

what you are going to do with the woofer (50%-75%HT?)
    What you want from a subwoofer
    what your room cubic foot volume is
    what you have for space to put a woofer
    what your budget is
    what kind of SO/DP/GFAF/WAF/SAQ/POAF/NAF&TL you have

8. ricky ho

ricky ho Stunt Coordinator

I was using a Velodyne SPL-1200 in my system for a year. It sounded great. I got the upgrade bug, after reading all the reviews on the SVS subs and the "summer prices". I bought a SV16-46PC Plus. All i can say is wow. The SVS sub cost me less money and is a major improvement.
    good luck

9. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    The subwoofer is mainly for movies and from time to time might be used for music. My goal is to have very strong thundering bass. I would like to go past what alot of subs seem to do. They sound like they go deep but they fall short and you do not feel much from them. I guess what I am looking for is great deep, solid and strong bass. My current system is set up up in a 11'w x 23'l x 8' 2"h room. Budget is in the area of $1600. I currently am running a set of Altec Voice of the Theaters for my main channel. And I am looking to replace my Polk CS100 with a Klipsch RC-7 dual 8" woofers & 1.75 dome compression tweeter. My rear channel will be upgraded to Klipsch RB-5's which also have 8" woofers.

"SO/DP/GFAF/WAF/SAQ/POAF/NAF&TL" ?? Not sure what you mean, sorry.

Current System
    Yamaha RV-X995 Reciever - Replacement: Denon AVR-5803
    Marantz LV520 Laserdisc Player
    Sony DVP-S9000ES DVD / SACD
    Denon DCD-1290 CD Player
    Denon DTR-2000 DAT Recorder
    Onkyo Integra TA-2600 Cassette Deck
    Onkyo Integra CP-1500F2 Turntable
    Soundcraftsman RP2215-R EQ
    Panasonic VHS
    Toshiba 31" Direct Veiw TV - Replacement Mitsubishi HDTV 60"
    Adding Parasound amplifiers.

10. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

The most bass from SVS for $1600 might be a dual 20-39CS+/S1000 package.

Approx. 9 cu-ft effective total enclosure volume
    >42 sq-in of widely flared porting
    twin 12" TC Sounds 12" driver with over 2" peak-peak
    1000w of amp,total(500w per sub).

$1525 + shipping. Add the SVS *blackbox* and you'll have some cool user controls like 0-180 continuous phase and variable subsonic filtering too.

The VEL advantage is you'll get very good(deep,clean) bass from a small enclosure size. You might be able to pick up a HGS15 in the $1600 range...from a size/performance ratio...perhaps unbeatable.

TV

11. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

At Audiogon in the used subwoofer section they have a- 15" FSR with the new HGS amp for $1470 and a 15" HGS for $1780 and a 18" HGS for $1500. I do not know if I would consider used over the net though???

12. Michael Roderiques

So I see a room volume around 2200 cubic feet.
    If you are truly looking for the pound your chest bass,

Velodyne options are

2 CHT15 units.
    2 SPL1200 units
    1 or 2 HGS15 Units
    1 or 2 HGS18

Because you say you will most likely only use these for HT, I would recommend Velodyne subs as you see them listed.

2 CHT15's will pressurize a room quite well. You wont be working them very hard to do that in your room.

Tom V's SVS suggestion is also a good option. The SVS subs will do a good job.

2 CHT15's will be less than the SVS package about $1000.
    2 SPL's will be slightly more than the SVS, about $1600.
    HGS is going to be even more.

Personaly, if it was me, for a HT only system, I would go with the CHT15 units.

SO, Significant Other
    DP, Domestic Partner
    GFAF, Girl Friend Acceptance Factor
    WAF, wife acceptance factor
    SAQ, Spousal Acceptance Quotient
    POAF, Property Owners Acceptance (for rentals)
    NAF&TL, Neighbors Acceptance Factor and Tolerance Level

Equal opportunity for all situations

13. Scott_Kwo

Scott_Kwo Auditioning

Hey all,
    I'm new to this game and looking for a sub.
    I don't have extreme equipment like some of you so please don't laugh.

I have a Sony STR 975 receiver with a Polk CSi30 center in a 10x14 room with no back wall. Looking to buy a set of RTis (probably 28s). Was going to buy a PSW350, but after reading and hearing a Velodyne CHT-10, I think it's worth the extra cash.

Currently I have a set of junk speakers that make sound. The majority of my system is used for HT.

Anyone know any online sites to buy a Velodyne ? I've seen the lowest for $335 in the U.S. I'm in NY.

Thanx

14. Michael Roderiques

Scott Try J&R or 6th Ave or for CHT only Circuit city

15. Scott_Kwo

Scott_Kwo Auditioning

Thanx Michael. It seems like they're all selling it for $399. I saw one listed for $335 online, but for peace of mind, I may just pay extra to pick it up iin person.

16. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Scott, your local CC may also have an open-box which can save you a considerable amount of cash on a perfect (or near perfect) unit that was returned because it didn't serve someone's needs.

A friend of mine got a CT-100 (the predecessor to the CHT-10) for $179 (with a slightly damaged grill but otherwise fine).....he couldn't be happier with this unit's performance in his small HT room. (Prior to this he had the very popular Sony and feels that the Velodyne was a significant upgrade).

Just thought I'd mention the open-box possibility to you in case you weren't aware.

Good luck,
    Vin

17. Scott_Kwo

Scott_Kwo Auditioning

Thanx Vin. I think I saw a post about that open box velodyne somewhere. Maybe on the CC review board.
    My only concerns are things like warranties, reliablity (who knows what the person b4 did with it) and stuff like that.
    But then again, if you can save a chunk of change, it's a steal ! [​IMG]

18. Ben Harper

Ben Harper Extra

I would strongly recommend the Earthquake Supernova MKIV. I replaced my Sunfire with the Earthquake and there is no comparison. Also, I have seen this sub advertised for $850 new (will look for the address).

19. Ben Harper

Ben Harper Extra

20. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

C City sells the CHT-15 for $700. When they do have a sale on them there sight does not reflect. I see the CHT going for $550 on line reg price. Do a search if interested and it will be easy to find. You can find demos to that will carry the full two year warranty from dealers. If you ever need help from Velodyne just slide into the conversation that you are a member of the HTF, "At least it does not hurt" and from my experience they will treat you very well. You mentioned- "Strong Thundering Bass" for movies. Trust me two CHT 15"s stacked will give you strong thundering bass. One will do a good job but two will very easily with lots of headroom. Mine are set to three on a scale of ten on the back of the subs and 0 on the receiver which is the middle value. This is a +2db individual sub calibration. Together it will add another 6dbs to that +2 so it comes out +8 which is to much for me, but I do go there from time to time. 24x12 room with 10' ceilings and some entrances and openings. If there is any question on boomyness just calibrate it in the audio mode. There will not be a trace except when boomy bass is mixed in to the track--IE: The first part of the Fast and the Furious. You will find yourself cutting it back most likely, for two really carry a wallop!