Velodyne Subs, Which Do I Buy

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Cunninghm, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Scott Cunninghm

Scott Cunninghm Stunt Coordinator

Have seen offers for Velodyne CT-100's for $150 or so, CT-120's for about $250, and a CT-15 for $350. Also saw a VA-1210 for $300.

Which one is the best deal. I plan on using it for 50%/50% music/movies

2. KritonD

KritonD Auditioning

well the CT series ain't bad..depends how much bass u want and how big of a unit u want..I'm personally looking at the CT-15, possibly the CT-12 .. where did u find them for these prices? i have a friend who works at circuit city that may be able to get me a sub for real cheap...but that's not definite yet, so i'm still looking around for good prices

3. Scott Cunninghm

Scott Cunninghm Stunt Coordinator

Saw some on ebay, the CT-150 in the newspaper classifeds, and the CT-120 here on the HTF classifieds. Havent bought any. From what I hear Velodyne, Hsu, and SVS are about the only serious contenders for a serious sub (for under $1000) but I am also considering the smaller Sunfire subs. I have not heard them, but the reviews I have seen have been decent, and they have the advantage of smallness.

4. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

5. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

Onecall periodically gets refurbed Velodyne subs from Velodyne. I bought a SPL-1200 for $749 with a full two year original factory warranty on it. I bought it last month, and it arrived in perfect shape.[​IMG] The original manufacture date on it was May of 2002, so it was practically new. Goody for me!
    Pete

6. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

I have the CHT-15 and it rocks, for $350 you can't go wrong at all!

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

8. Doug Drake

Doug Drake Stunt Coordinator

I used to have a CT-120, and it did a nice job. I upgraded to an SVS 20-39PC and it does a great job.
    If you're looking at Velodyne because of the form factor, you might consider a good used servo-based model (which the CT series are not). They will give some serious woofage, plus be accurate and almost distortion-free at any volume, which might be important since you will be using it 50/50 theater/music.
    I picked up a Velodyne F1500R on Ebay for about $600 delivered (a 90lb beast that retailed for $1700 new). I think there is a used VA-1215x for sale somewhere on the net, but can't remember where (Audiogon? AudioReview? Ebay?).
    You can read about the previous models at www.velodyne.com.

9. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

Be sure you listen to it before you buy. I had a ct-10 for about 10 days. I took it back to get a refund. I now have dual svs 20-39+ subs. There is no comparison. Of course the price is really different too. The velodyne was just too boomy for me. It was boomy in places where it should not be boomy. I do have a real large room maybe that is a factor. The only velodynes that I have heard that I like were much more expensive. Have you looked at Audio Adire subs? They supposedly sound much more accurate. Good luck on your shopping. Everyone likes different things.