What's new

Velodyne Subs, Which Do I Buy (1 Viewer)

Scott Cunninghm

Stunt Coordinator
Have seen offers for Velodyne CT-100's for $150 or so, CT-120's for about $250, and a CT-15 for $350. Also saw a VA-1210 for $300.

Which one is the best deal. I plan on using it for 50%/50% music/movies

KritonD

Auditioning
well the CT series ain't bad..depends how much bass u want and how big of a unit u want..I'm personally looking at the CT-15, possibly the CT-12 .. where did u find them for these prices? i have a friend who works at circuit city that may be able to get me a sub for real cheap...but that's not definite yet, so i'm still looking around for good prices

Scott Cunninghm

Stunt Coordinator
Saw some on ebay, the CT-150 in the newspaper classifeds, and the CT-120 here on the HTF classifieds. Havent bought any. From what I hear Velodyne, Hsu, and SVS are about the only serious contenders for a serious sub (for under $1000) but I am also considering the smaller Sunfire subs. I have not heard them, but the reviews I have seen have been decent, and they have the advantage of smallness.

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
Onecall periodically gets refurbed Velodyne subs from Velodyne. I bought a SPL-1200 for $749 with a full two year original factory warranty on it. I bought it last month, and it arrived in perfect shape.:) The original manufacture date on it was May of 2002, so it was practically new. Goody for me!
Pete

Doug Drake

Stunt Coordinator
I used to have a CT-120, and it did a nice job. I upgraded to an SVS 20-39PC and it does a great job.
If you're looking at Velodyne because of the form factor, you might consider a good used servo-based model (which the CT series are not). They will give some serious woofage, plus be accurate and almost distortion-free at any volume, which might be important since you will be using it 50/50 theater/music.
I picked up a Velodyne F1500R on Ebay for about $600 delivered (a 90lb beast that retailed for $1700 new). I think there is a used VA-1215x for sale somewhere on the net, but can't remember where (Audiogon? AudioReview? Ebay?).
You can read about the previous models at www.velodyne.com.

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
Be sure you listen to it before you buy. I had a ct-10 for about 10 days. I took it back to get a refund. I now have dual svs 20-39+ subs. There is no comparison. Of course the price is really different too. The velodyne was just too boomy for me. It was boomy in places where it should not be boomy. I do have a real large room maybe that is a factor. The only velodynes that I have heard that I like were much more expensive. Have you looked at Audio Adire subs? They supposedly sound much more accurate. Good luck on your shopping. Everyone likes different things.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks