velodyne sub vs Supercube III

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Bud Millis, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Bud Millis

Bud Millis Auditioning

I found a Velodyne 12" 125 watt sub (1997) thats been reconditioned and tested with a price tag of $275.00 (comes with a 30 day warranty). The store that has this is a very good store and has a good rep. They also have a DT Super Cube III for $675.00.

Not having purchased a used speaker before, I don't know what I should do. The Velodyne sounds good. Also if I spend the extra $$ I have less for another upgrade.

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

For $275 it had better be perfect. That's on the high side, but may reflect some reconditioning. If they dusted it off, not so hot. If they gave it a new foam surround (if not rubber) ir completely teched the amp, then maybe. If it's a top of the line unit like a ULD or something....?

3. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

Which velodyne sub is it?

4. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

Everything is relative. I have a Velodyne HGS 10, 1000 watt amp, piano black finish that was purchased in 1998 for $1,100 new (retailed for $1,700) that has been reconditioned and the amp section upgraded that I might take $700 for. $275 sounds good depending on features, otherwise one of the new DLS series might be a better choice.

5. Bud Millis

Bud Millis Auditioning

Its an F1200 with the servo repaired. If this isn't a good deal, what would be a good alternative?

6. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

If it was repaired by an authorized dealer/service shop go ahead an give it a try. It's only $275. I have a Velodyne SPL 1000 II and it works great.

7. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor