What's new

Velodyne sub question 10" or 12"? (1 Viewer)

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
I just bought a velodyne sub at CC. This is my first home theater purchase so I do not have much to compare to. It is a chp 10 inch. The have a cht 12", cht 15", and a ct 15". How much difference is there between the models and should I upgrade while I have the year to do it. My current set up is below

front surrounds Polk rt-5

ceneter Polk cs-245i

rear surrounds Polk rt-25i

and the 10" velodyne cht sub

reviever Onkyo 595

Thanks for your time!!!

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Personally, if you paid the $400 for it, you may want to take it back and buy an Adire Audio Rava. For HT and music, the 12" subs appear to be the best ones. Beyond that, the smaller subs generally work better with music whereas the larger subs work better with HT. Any larger than 12" and it tends to become boomy. That is just a generalization and not true for every sub on the market.

Thomas_A

Second Unit
I'm running the CT150... what an amazing sub!. The CT120 does not have the power of the ct150- but in tests in a reputable magazine have the 120 going lower than many 2x its cost. It will boil down to what size room you have and what your using it for!. I use mine for music and HT 24/7 and it sounds incredible.

I did have a ct80 but I traded that one in... but I have nothing but great things to say about the velodynes....BTW..I compared my ct150 to a $1,800 M&K..and for the price... could not tell that much apart...

anyway..good luck

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I have a velodyne spl-1200 and I think the 12" driver does an excellent job. I agree with the others about 10" being too small for ht. When compared to smaller drivers, I felt the 12" had more "ooomph" for lack of a better word.

Vin

Supporting Actor
Brian, I bought the Velo CT-100 for $400 last year after listening to a lot of subs in the $300-$400 price range. I thought it was very good but after only few months they put the CT-120 on sale for $490 (the CT-150 was a monster of a box and I just didn't have the room for it) so I decided to take advantage of CC's upgrade policy. I think it was a good upgrade, well worth the $90 difference in price.

As far as I know there's very little difference (more cosmetic than anything else) between the CT line and the newer CHT line that you bought.

Like the Velos, the Adire Audio Rava for $400 that Bryan mentioned also seems to be highly regarded but I've never heard one myself so I couldn't tell you how it compares.

Hope this helps.

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
I think the CHT120 is a good compromise . The 10 doesn't have enough punch for HT and the 15 which I currently have can be too boomy for music but is awesome for HT. I had the CHT120 for awhile and if I had it to do over, I wouldn't have traded "up". The Hsu VTF-2 tests better than either one of the Velo's.

Russ

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I've had a CT-120 for a year and a half now. I am very happy with it. She fills my small HT room very nicely and produces a good tight, clean impact. I'd upgrade to the 12" as the 10 is just a bit too small. I started with the 8" moved to the 10" then ended up with the 12". The 15" was too big.
Peace Out~:D

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
I am very happy with my CT-120. I picked it up for a great price as an open box special. I am using it in my 20' X 16' living room, and it is more than enough. As a matter of fact, I have the volume levelon the sub set at only the 9:00 position (I use the receiver to control volume) and using Avia, set the db level at 80 db. My receiver's sub volume control goes from -10 to +10, and in my living room, 80 db is the -4 setting.

Its pretty tight for music, and excellent for movies. Every damn thing that can rattle in my living room does rattle, including the glare screen on my TV.

Matt

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Every damn thing that can rattle in my living room does rattle, including the glare screen on my TV.
I hear ya on this one Matt. I have been going around The Green Room ever so slowy trying to locate and destroy rattles. It's tough. The glare screen is a pain. Might just take it off.

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,
I regularly remove the screen on mine for daytime football games and stuff. I have a Mits 55807, and it comes off pretty easily. I think it looks better with it off, but I worry that my 5 and 7 year olds will touch the fragile lenticular screen (even though they promise me they wont;) ). If you dont have a situation involving kids or touchy-feely people, I say take it off!
:)
Matt

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Matt, how simple is it to remove? I have a Mits 46807 and a 4 year old, but I do have dedicated HT room so I can keep the door closed. Any tips would be great.

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
It only takes about 30 seconds to take off and about a minute to put back on. On mine, you just remove two "clips" that run along the top and bottom of the screen. Pry them off with a flat plastic object like a spatula, then you grab the screen by the center and pull gently towards you, and the screen will pop off.
I think the 46807 might be slightly more involved, I found a link to the Diamond Shield removal courtesy of HT Spot:
Glare Screen Removal
Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks