Velodyne sub bites the dust...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RobWil, Mar 18, 2003.

1. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

I have an older Velodyne sub...VA 810...that's around 6 yrs old and I think the driver is busted. It sounds like it is anyway but it doesn't look like the grill is removable.
    Anybody know how to remove it?
    It's only 50W but the thing cost like $500 back then and I hate to give it up. Anybody have any idea what it would cost to repair or where I would take it? I live in San Diego area.
    Or....is it obsolete by todays standards. I notice most of them nowadays are like 150W or better. Time to replace it?
    Suggestions welcome and appreciated.
    P.S. I have an HK 320 in a fairly small room, like around 9 x 14 and really can't spend more than around $350 at the moment.

2. I would say that the sub is most likely outdated. This doesn't mean that it is sounds bad, just that you can get more for your money these days.
    Do you have the ability to build your own sub enclosure? (DIY?)

3. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

Yo...thanks for the reply. Yeah...I could probably handle that.

4. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

How big is the enclosure and what size driver is it (assuming you can get grill off to check this out)? There might be drivers comparable though the only part is that the plate amp on this sub might be eq to match the driver in this sub (maybe velodyne has a few extra drivers). If you can get a cabinet size, then most likely all you'll need a similar size quality driver, an outboard eq (to tame room response and maybe cancel the boost of the plate amp), and freq sweep disc and you might be able to get the sub to perform adequately (while building an appropriate size cabinet for the driver replacement) as the size of your room the 50w might be adequate.

5. I don;t recomment you do a driver swap unless you KNOW the EQ function in the amp. I'll bet money it has one.

How big of a box can you allow? If you can DIY it, $350 can get you somewhere including the box. It depends on how big of a box you want (can tolerate)[​IMG]

6. Jeremy:L

Jeremy:L Agent

7. TanT

TanT Stunt Coordinator

8. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

Just getting back...hey, I really appreciate the responses and will check out these links and options. I'll get back to you later. Thanks!

9. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

Well....after going to Circuit City last night and listening to some really mediocre subs i just made a real quick, totally uneducated, spur of the moment decision on ebay and got an Infinity IL 120S, 12" 500W sub. I hate buying stuff without auditioning but I've read some decent reviews on this...I think!?!?
    It's a factory re-furb but I got it for only $284.55 plus tax and $28 for shipping. If you can believe some of the retail prices they quote it sounds like a steal.
    I think this is going to be SERIOUS overkill for my small listening room (9x14).
    Thanks for the replies though and please tell me I didn't screw up.

10. Ron_L

Ron_L Second Unit

Rob,

nothing is over kill

I'm thinking about putting in a Paradigm PW 2200 in a 9x9 room.

11. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

That's a damn good deal on an excellent subwoofer(good looking too). It has excellent sound quality and good output down to 25hz. I think you'll be satisfied.

Overkill???

I'm thinking of doing dual Stryke AV-15's or a single Tumult in a 1500 cu ft room.[​IMG]

12. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

Thanks you guys ...I feel better!

13. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

Hey cool, I have a Velodyne VA-1012 i purchased over six years ago and still going strong. My subs front grill comes off and yours should too. Have you tried to contact velodyne about a new driver? Could be a cheap way to refurb your old sub, then you would have two (insert Tim Allen grunts here) OH, oh, oh,oh.....

14. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

Man...it seems like I'd need a crowbar to get it off...it definitely doesn't just pop off...does yours? Maybe I'm just an idiot [​IMG]
    Anyway...yeah! ....2 subs sounds cool!

15. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

Hey...I was right...I DO need a crowbar! [​IMG]
    Well..not exactly...a member of this forum kindly hooked me up with a service rep for Velodyne and it appears that my grill is glued to the casing via wooden dowels in each corner. He said to just pry it apart using a flat utensil of some sort. Woo hoo!

16. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

Well I got the grill pried away and the foam around the driver had pretty well disintegrated. The foam around the passive radiator seemed rock solid though. Looking at this sub from the inside , nothing screams of quality. I just don't understand what about this sub warranted a $600 price. The driver replacement will run around $50, so this thing has around $150 worth of speaker and amplifier, some foam rubber strewn about and a wooden box. Unbelievable. [​IMG]
    This sucks about as much as the Laker's do tonite.
    I'll still probably order the new driver and use this as a rear sub though.
    Can't wait to get my new Infinity IL120S [​IMG]

17. TanT

TanT Stunt Coordinator

Well, how did it sound before it was disintergrated, before you took the grill off?

Basically, did it sound like $600 when you first bought it?

18. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

Well that's hard to answer cause we're talking about $600 in 1996 $ vs today. Yeah...I've always been happy with it. Looking back on it was it worth $600 (actually I paid $500 on sale) ... no, I don't think so. It was just a top name in subs back then. Looking inside at the materials was it worth that much....hell no! I'm actually shocked! I really don't have anything to compare it to cause it's the only sub I've owned and all I know is my music definitely sounded better with it. I'll let you know more when I get the new one though.

19. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Rob,

Now you know why many of us build our own! [​IMG]