1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Velodyne SPL1200 - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bryan Acevedo, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Bryan Acevedo

Bryan Acevedo Second Unit

I am looking at the Velodyne SPL1200 sub. I am wondering if anyone here can post any of their thoughts on this sub. Is there a huge difference between the SPL 1200 and HGS 12? (What about the FSR12?) Or is it more subtle? I have found the SPL 1200 online for $750 (B Stock Factory Refurbished) at onecall.com. Does this seem like a good deal? It does to me. It doesn't really bother me to buy a factory refurbished item, as long as it has the same warranty. I was going to call them and make sure everything is on the up and up, and find out what their definition of B-Stock is. I don't want scratch and dent!
    Can anyone comment on the sub itself, any experiences with onecall, and buying B-Stock items?
    All info will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Bryan

2. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I have the SPL-1200 and think it is great. I too got it for a good deal, about $699, and could not be happier with it. It really puts out the bass. It sounds great with both movies and music, although I primarily use it for movies in my A/V system. I don't think you can go wrong with it, especially for that price, and velodyne is a great company to work with that has great customer service, imho. As far as the FSR series is concerned, I don't believe that they are making those units.
    Hope this helps.
    ------------------
    ------ Dave ------
    ------------------
    MY HT

3. Bryan Acevedo

Dave - where did you get your SPL1200 for that price? Was it brand new, on the web? Just curious.
    Also, I know the FSR subs aren't made anymore, but onecall had the 12 for like $550, so I was curious as to how it compared.
    Thanks,
    Bryan

4. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

The SPL1200 is more powerful than the fsr12. If you're comfortable buying B-stock(which I am..as long as there's a warranty)...it's a great deal!
    TV

5. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

Or, I can hook you up with a Velo dealer and get ya around 25% off of "A" stock...warranty and dealer support included.
    [email protected]
    ------------------

6. Bryan Acevedo

TV - I called onecall - full warranty is included - 2 years parts and labor. It isn't scratch and dent - just a sub that didn't work out of the box, returned, fixed and sent back out. I can totally live with that, because the warranty is still in tact, and I can be pretty sure this sub WILL work out of the box! I only have problems buying scratch and dent, or demo models. 'Cause you never know what happened to them! At least with refurb, you know it has been tested and all parts that need to be replaced have been replaced!
    Randy - yeah I thought about that. Bought all my other stuff at a local dealer, but there is no way they will go down 25% on a velo price. They won't lower the prices that much! And you are still talking $900 plus tax if they do!
    Onecall seems to be pretty reputable, and only $35 to ship it, puts me at like $780 - it is hard to pass up a deal like that. I am normally all about supporting local dealers, but this is a huge price difference in my opinion! Plus, I will still get the warranty, and I really don't need any local support to hook my sub up. If I have a problem, then it might become a hassle, but since this has already been sent in and fixed, I doubt I will have any issues.
    Bryan

7. Bryan Acevedo

Oh one more thing - this is all pending approval from the boss! [​IMG]

8. CraigR

CraigR Agent

Bryan,
    That sounds like a very good deal from one call. I have this sub and like it very much. BTW I know what ya mean about getting the boss' approval. Originally I wanted one of the SVS subs but the "boss" turned it down.

9. Bryan Acevedo

Craig - ditto here - thought about SVS - but once she found it how tall it was, and that it would displace one of the trees (fake tree) in the family room, it was turned down! Denied!
    Well, I got the approval last night, Velodyne should hire me as a salseman, as I had to give her my best sales speech to get the sub! [​IMG]
    Anyway, it should be here on Friday - I can't wait. The difference between my KSW 12 and the new SPL1200 should be quite apparant, even to the wife! The other selling point is that it is designed to be put in a niche, like what I have now. I needed a front firing sealed enclosure to work correctly in my setup.
    I read on a post on the Klipsch forum (same question) that the SPL1200 more closely matches the output of the HGS 15 vs the HGS 12. The difference being that the HGS 12 is cleaner (less distortion). Would anyone here agree with that, or comment on that? I am assuming the SPL series are still very low distortion, and if my output can be closer to an HGS 15, I will take a little bit of distortion (as long as it is less than 10%) for that output.
    Thanks for all the input guys!
    Bryan

10. CraigR

CraigR Agent

Bryan,
    I believe you will like the 1200 very much. It has, IMO, a cleaner, tighter and better quality of bass than the Klipsch model you have been using. Must tell you though that I do not think it is as good as the HGS15. To my ears it was closer to the HGS12. The 1200 has very low distortion but not as low as the HGS series. Let us know what you think when you get it set up.

11. Bryan Acevedo

I received it last night - and all I can is WOW!
    Blows away my KSW 12 in every aspect. I haven't even had a lot of time to totally tweak it, but from some initial listening, it is tight, powerful and deep bass! Everything my KSW 12 lacked! On top of all that, it has very low distortion - it just sounds so clean!
    After I calibrate and do some more listening, I will post a more thourough review!
    I am a happy man - and will be having some fun this weekend!
    Bryan

12. jonathanR

jonathanR Stunt Coordinator

How would you rate the Velo 1200 agianst the paradigm 2200? Looking for one for my fathers home theater 12'x15'x8', and he dosen't care for the tube look and his budget is under $800.
    John

13. James_D_A

James_D_A Auditioning

I got a demo SPL1200 for $750+ shipping. Also got an interesting spike/stand that isolates it completely from the floor--really tightened the sound. My sub also had the screws replaced with aluminum screws which supposedly tighten and remove any distortion from the amp moving(?). Whatever, I got a good deal [​IMG]
    I have greatly enjoyed the 1200 so far. It is tight and pretty small. Output is house shaking (not room shaking, 4500 sq ft house shaking!). I have had many friends over who own a range of subs (garbage usually, but a few with Paradigm, REL, etc.). All of my friends like the sound of mine more than anything they have heard aside from the Paradigm Servo-15. Unfortunately, I have yet to hear a subwoofer form SVS. I am considering an Ultra, but my pocket book needs some healing time.
    Anyone know how the SVS Ultra would stack up against the SPL1200 or vice-versa? Probably the Ultra would kill the 1200, but I would like to hear from someone who has actually heard both.
    I guess if I sold my SPL1200, LCD flat panel, digital camera, printer, spare computer or two, clothing, and other "non-essentials" I could grab a CS Ultra dual pack. [​IMG] Maybe a website overhaul for SVS would pay for an Ultra and an amp.