Velodyne SPL1200 "farting" randomly when idle?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bryan Acevedo, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Bryan Acevedo

Bryan Acevedo Second Unit

Something has recently started happening in my setup.
    I have a Velodyne SPL1200 sub hooked up to my Denon 3802 receiver using an Acoustic Research Pro Series Sub cable.
    I used to have my sub in my media niche, but I have moved it out to the right side wall of my listening room. When the sub was in the niche, the cable was bundled behind the sub (it was a 25' cable) in an "S" pattern with a zip tie. It basically went straight to the sub, not passing many other cables.
    Now, the cable is bundled behind my bigscreen TV, and the cable runs around the perimeter of the floor boards underneath the carpet.
    The power cable was plugged into my Monster Power Conditioner (HTS 1000) before, and now it is plugged into a different wall outlet with no line conditioner (which I don't like).
    I also leave the sub on all the time, as I find the auto-wake feature just doesn't work as advertised (as I have found with nearly any sub).
    Now for the problem. We will have everything off (except for the sub) and we will hear "pops" come from the sub. These aren't loud, but enough so that it is annoying. It also seems to be random. They may come every 20 seconds for a few minutes, then not come for a while, or just come every few minutes. I have tried to see if they coincide with something else in the house coming on. It doesn't seem to, as we will be sitting on the couch, and it will start popping. The air conditioning unit can be on or off, it doesn't seem to matter. Also, even if the whole system is on, we will get the pop, only audible at lower (with little bass) listening levels.
    One thing I have tried is I unplug the cable from the sub, and it seems that the popping stops. It is hard to confirm this, as I am not sure if it is just coincidence or not, but so far - no cable = no pop. If I plug the cable back in, I may or may not start getting the popping again.
    So I am just trying to make sure I am on the right track. I am beginning to think that it is the cable picking up some sort of noise in the air. For all I know I could have a neighbor using some power tools that are putting out some interference, and the sheilding on the cable is defective.
    One other note, this is the 2nd sub cable of the same model I have used. With my old sub (Klipsch KSW12) and the old cable, I would get a pop every time I turned off my ceiling fan. (I posted a question about this back then, too, and got a lot of help.) It turned out the cable was defective, as the new one (the one I am using now) took care of the problem. I am wondering if in the move of the sub, the cable some how became damaged (even though I am careful with them). Maybe these sub cables are very sensitive to damage.
    So for all of you experts out there, should I have my sub checked out, or should I just use a different sub cable? I really like the AR Pro cables, but I am a bit leery of using a 3rd sub cable, as I feel that it will just have problems some time down the road. Maybe I should try a Monster (gasp) cable! [​IMG]
    I also haven't tried a different cable yet, because it requires me to pull my 60" TV out of a wall niche that was custom built for it. It is a big pain to get it out, and then get behind the niche for the components to get to the cables. I may end up having to do that anyway, but since the popping seems to be random - it would be hard to say that it is gone with a new cable.
    Thanks in advance!
    Bryan

2. Roger Kint

Roger Kint Stunt Coordinator

It is intermittent, those are the worst.

Have you carefully verified the integrity of the cable, either visually or electonically? Maybe a loose connection/connector.

3. Bryan Acevedo

Bryan Acevedo Second Unit

The autowake feature works, but in my opinion, no sub gets it right. They only turn on when the level is to a certain point. So if I am watching TV at night, and the volume is turned down low, the sub won't see the signal, and I have to turn up the volume until the sub gets enough level, and then turns on. I have seen this with every sub, not just mine.

I am pretty sure it is the cable, but I am still going to do some fooling around with it this weekend. The problem is I am selling my house, so I can't just tear everything up, because someone will most likely come by to look at the house while I have everything in shambles!

The reason I think it is the cable, is because when I unplug it from the sub, I never get a pop. But if I plug it back in, I can get a pop within a few seconds. Not everytime, but more often than not.

Bryan