Velodyne SPL series (SPL-1000 in particular)

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Yousaf, Jul 18, 2003.

1. Yousaf

Yousaf Second Unit

Does anyone have any opinions on these subwoofers? I am in need of a new sub, and want to do it right so I can kill my upgraditis (I'm a college student and having no job this summer really killed my savings). I am also tired of transporting and finding room for my Acoustic Research PR1212 sub, so I definitely want something smaller.

My main speakers are GR-Research A/V-1s, if sub/speaker matching is really important. I guess I'd like to know if the sub will match well with these. Does the sub play cleanly? Will it have significant output at 20 Hz? How does it compare to other possibilities in the $500 range?

Anyone willing to share their experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. JessPrice

JessPrice Stunt Coordinator

I have a feeling you will be hearing recommendations on the SVS line of cylinder subs.

3. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

4. Yousaf

Yousaf Second Unit

Jess: Thanks, but as I mentioned I am going for size here and an SVS cylinder is just too big.

Curtis: Not really. I would be getting the SPL-1000 used, and it will probably sell before then. Do you really think the $440 Hsu could compete? Plus the Velodyne is really, really small...

5. Jaime B

Jaime B Stunt Coordinator

The Velodyne SPL-10 is really, really samall, but more importantly, it is very, very good!

Go for it!

JaimeB