What's new

Velodyne SPL-1200 II - My impressions (1 Viewer)

Greg_Hammond

Agent
Thanks to the advice and excellent search engine capabilities on the forums, I was able to narrow down my options for how to handle the subwoofer situation in my HT.

Some of you might remember my question asking what to do about my older Mirage PS-10 sub to liven up the HT - and I tried just about everything to make due. I moved the sub all around the room, pointed it in every direction, and adjusted the crossover freqs and levels. To get the bass I wanted, I ended up driving the amp into distortion and just plain wasn't satisfied with how the sub handled the extreme LFE requirements of LOTR, Star Wars, Star Trek Insurrection, and MIB and MIB II.

I purchased a Velodyne SPL-1200 II last night from my local hi-fi, and wasted no time in hooking the sub up in the HT. I had an assurance from the store that if I wasn't completely satisfied, I could bring it back no questions asked as long as the book, boxes, and warranty card were intact. Lets just say I put that box up in the attic, I don't think I'll be needing it. *smile*

I won't go into a full review unless people request it, but my initial impressions are that this sub is more than adequate for my 22x14x8 HT with one open-side, and a concrete floor. The fit and finish are exemplary (I got the "black" model, but it's more of a deep dark semi-translucent blue-black over maple, it's georgous!). It's very solid, the screws have no marks on them, and the controls and switches are clean and crisp.

I would have loved to demo a SVS sub, after hearing all of the rave reviews here on the forum, but the advantage of local pick-up and an option to return if I'm not happy were strong motivators to go with the SPL-1200 II.

Greg

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
The SPL 1200 is a highly under rated subwoofer, id take it over ...lets just say ALOT, and I mean ALOT of other subwoofers.

The numbers just dont mean anything with this subwoofer, it has to be heard to be appreciated and thats that.

mackie

Supporting Actor
I have the SPL-1000 II. I think it's a great sub. It gives me more bass than I use.

Greg_Hammond

Agent
I had a change to play a little from the "12 inches of Snow" CD tonight that I like to test low-bass response with. Wow! I was hearing some things in those tracks that I didn't even know existed.

I'm not sure how loud the SPL is going to be when cranked up, but it certainly has the low frequency department covered in it's current location. The room is working very well with the old positioning I had used with my Mirage too. Of course, I'm gonna move it around a little and see what else I can get from it. *grin*

I'd love to see a DD15 or DD18 in action one day! Anybody around Maryland got one and want to demo? =)

Greg

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Nice!

I have a 97 Camry with a V6 and a 5-speed (they only built 4500 EVER) and I want to put the TRD supercharger on it so bad. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks