What's new

Velodyne SPL-1200 II, musical sub? (1 Viewer)

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
I've got an opportunity to buy this sub used from a co-worker who is moving. Here's the problem. His HT setup is used mostly for movies(80/20). Whereas mine is used mostly for music(10/90), such as concert DVD's, DVD-A's and CD's. With that in mind will this be a good match for me. I haven't been able to demo the SPL-1200 since my local dealers only carries the CHT series. He is using it in a much smaller room with wood floors and I know it's going to sound much different in my living room. I have the CHT-12 which sounds very good, but is slightly "boomy" for music. Also, it drops off steeply at 35-38Hz with my current placement. I understand that there is a huge difference in performance between the two. Any feedback? Here's the rest of my setup. Thanks!

H/K AVR-525
JBL S310 II (mains)
JBL S-Center II
JBL S36 II (rears)
Velodyne CHT-12
23’x 18’x 14’ (LxWxH) deep 1" carpeting

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Have you been able to experiment with subwoofer placement with the CHT12? If its performance is being limited by the placement, and the SPL1200 will be locked into the same placement...you would be faced with some of the same compromises. In Nousaine's most recent tests of them...the cht12 was actually close to the SPL1200 performance wise..within a few dBs and had better FR.

Tom V.
SVs

Guy Robinson

Agent
I had to fool a lot with my CHT12 before I got it positioned and adjusted correctly. I now find it very musical and rarely have to crank it past the 1/4 mark. There is great bass at even that setting. It is not boomy either yet it provides gobs for movies. It is pretty good all around performer in my estimation.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Tom thanks for the feedback. No I haven't. That's a point I didn't consider! Due to the layout of the room I'm locked in with only a corner spot (front soundstage) available. The CHT-12 is rated to 25Hz but I've never gotten that low at reference level using Avia/R.S. meter. Placement could be the problem instead of my CHT-12.

Guy: I have everything set to small (80Hz x-over) and the CHT getting everything below 80Hz(ctr), 40Hz(mains) and 60Hz(rears).

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi John,

Corners do tend to work well. If the subwoofer position isn't flexible...would the key seating positions be? Sometimes just moving the chair/sofa 6 inches one way or the other can have dramatic effects. I suppose the first thing to do is take a couple of response checks to really see what is going on at the key seating positions before you start experimenting though.

Tom V.
SVS

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Good idea Tom. I think I'll mount my R.S. meter on my camera tripod again and try different locations other than the center of my couch. I've always set the tripod in the center of the couch at ear level because that's normally where I sit and it's right in front of the center speaker. This time I'll try the ends of the couch and a foot or so back and forward when using the bass sweep test. Thanks Guy and Tom!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks