Velodyne, Polk and Infinity Subs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TimTurtino, Jan 25, 2003.

1. TimTurtino

TimTurtino Stunt Coordinator

I'v been doing a fair amount of research, but I haven't been able to find an answer that completely satisfies me, and I'd like some input.

The room is largish (25' by 13', with 7' ceilings, and a stairway in the room), and my deep bass needs are smallish (I will never have the volume dial turned up in such a way that my SPL meter goes above 90 dB -- my ears are very sensitive to loud noises, and that's already getting quite painful).

I'm in the position of being able to buy Polk, Velodyne, and Infinity subs at a very good discount. I'm currently looking at the Velo CHT15 (which is, even heavily discounted, a good deal more than I can afford), the Infinity Alpha 1200S, and the Polk 650. I'll be getting the Infinity RABOS kit in any case.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to listen to any of them. I've been able to audition the the CHT 12, the Entra Sub2, and the 550, and based on that, my preference has been Velo followed by Polk followed by Infinity. However, I would be okay with any of the three.

Would it be a fair guess that I can move up to the next level and still keep the order of prefs? Or does something very cool happen in one of the brands (going from the 12 to the 15 w/ the Velo, the Entra series to the Alpha series with the Infinity, etc.)

Please don't reccomend any other subs that cost more than $350-- I won't be able to afford them, as much as I _want_ them. [​IMG] I'm in the middle of a major HT upgrade, am already way over budget, and SVS is going to have to wait a few years before I can even get a 25-31...
    Thanks in advance for your thoughtful and kind consideration,

Me

2. Phil*K

Phil*K Stunt Coordinator

Tim,

Try looking at Harmon Store on Ebay or perhaps UBID. You could probably find an IL120s for about your price range. If you use the RABOS kit to tune it you wont be dissapointed.

Phil

3. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

In the CHT line the 15" has the current sensing servo which the other CHT's do not. A distortion reducer. This is what Velodyne says on there sight anyway. I run a two stacked configuration and have been very pleased._______>

I have seen some numbers on the Polk 650 and it looks to be a good sub and there are Infinity owners who really like what they have. I do not know off the top of my head if stepping up to a bigger driver with-in these brands would offer more._______Good luck!

4. Peter Jessee

Peter Jessee Stunt Coordinator

5. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

I concur with Phil.

6. TimTurtino

First of all, thanks for the speedy and thoughful replies.

Phil-- It was my understanding that the Alphas replaced the Interludes, and I haven't been able to find the interludes in that size, which is why I was looking at the Alpha. I searched both Ebay and Ubid, and couldn't find anything other than a couple 10" ILs, but maybe I'm missing something?

Steve-- thanks for your feedback on the Velo.

Peter-- That link doesn't take me to a sub page, but instead something offering rubber stamps for sale. I may go DIY on my next sub (some years down the line), but my first sub will be retail, for the very simple reason that I need something to compare to [​IMG]

Me

7. Phil*K

Phil*K Stunt Coordinator

8. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Why not simply pick up the VTF2 or the Adire RAVA as these are very close to your price range and are excellent subs from most postings on most forums.

Or look at the used sub links here and maybe get a used SVS sooner rather than later...

9. TimTurtino

Phil-- Thanks a lot for the links-- don't know why I couldn't find that. I'll have to do a little investigating, because I'm still not seeing why the Alpha isn't just an updated Interlude.

Robert-- Because the VTF2 is $500 shipped, and the RAVA is $400, not including shipping. $350 is my absolute limit, and for that I'll be spending some significant time grovelling with my SO. However, I hadn't really been thinking about the possibility of buying one used or remanufactured-- thanks for putting that bee in my bonnet.

Me

10. Phil*K

Phil*K Stunt Coordinator

Tim,

If you search the threads on here you'll find a few references to the Alphas that replaced the Interlude line. I'm not sure why Infinity did this but the Alphas are really a step down from the Interludes.

Phil

11. Peter Jessee

12. Phil*K

Phil*K Stunt Coordinator

Peter,

I think he was saying he wanted a sub for 350 or less, Not 2000 or less. The IL100 will produce 80db without distortion at 20HZ for the price he's looking for that's pretty good. and the Infinity Intermezzo 1.2 beat the SPL 1200 at 16 hz by 7 db. But then again these subs will run close to 2000.

Phil

13. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

I'm not sure why Infinity did this but the Alphas are really a step down from the Interludes.

I guess maybe they are trying to compete with Bose in all the CC stores!

14. TimTurtino

I love this site. People put so much thought and energy into their replies. Thank you all!

Phil-- I saw those threads, but couldn't find much that was specific to the subs. It all seemed to be about other speakers in the line. I'm willing to take your word for it, but I'd like to see some freq graphs for the two.

Peter-- That's a very cool page! Thank you. I agree with you about inaccuracy, although I blame the average consumer. It's much easier to sell loud and boomy than accurate, when customers balk at even paying $200 for a low end sub. And while it would be nice for salespeople to educate consumers, the reality is that the average consumer comes into the store convinced that they can get the best solution at the cheapest price in 5 minutes, and if the saleserson doesn't agree with them, they'll move on to one who does.

Phil-- you're correct, but I think Peter was reccommending that I go to hear the good low bass so I'll appreciate my DIY solution, not that I buy them.

Mark-- the drivers are essentially the same, so if they've gotten worse, it's probably because of bad crossover design, no? That shouldn't hurt a subwoofer with a defeatable crossover, should it? Unless the cabinets are worse, but they sure _look_ similar...

Me

15. Phil*K

Phil*K Stunt Coordinator

Tim,

I know of no comparison chart between the Alpha and Interlude subs. The only thing I've seen on this site is a reference that a poster, who worked at CC made to how dissappointed he was when compairing the two subs and how the Harmon rep was saying that they were a step down. As far as Marks comments you need to also look at the amp section.

Mark,

That was funny and probably true. That and the cheap Polks and Velodynes they sell there.

Cheers,
    Phil

16. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

I work there and my favorite subs by brandname have been the Velodyne and then the new Polk and Infinity are tied. I haven't heard the new Infinity. The best sounding subs are the Velodyne 10 and 15 inch. I just don't like the sound of the 12 inch as much. Get the 15 inch if your room is big or if you're a basshead. I do no beleive any of the Velodyne subs represent your typical mass-produced sub.

17. TimTurtino

Lots of CC folks on this forum [​IMG] I wish the CCs around me had the new Alpha sub (as opposed to just the 50s).

Adil-- the CC you work at has both the Alpha and the VAI CHT15? Wowzers... Nothing nearby me (w/in an hour drive, anyway) has either. I'm convinced that my CC is the backwater; we always get stuff last-- and we're only a few hours from Richmond. Ironic.

At this point, I'm trying to convince myself that one of the following is true:
    A) The Velodyne CHT-15 is within my means.
    B) The Alpha1200s is as good as the Interlude (because I'd be a lot happier buying the Alpha new than the Interlude reconditioned).
    C) I'm capable of getting a DIY cabinet right the first time. (I'm moderately handy, but have essentially no woodworking tools... Cutting with a Sawzall isn't that precise...)

A) and C) are going to be the hardest sell (sorry, Peter!), so if I can't support B), then I'm just going to have to be happy with a reconditioned Interlude. From many of the comments on the forum, that isn't a bad worst case scenario.

Everyone-- thanks for all your help and insight!

Me

18. Peter Jessee

19. Miklsan K

Miklsan K Agent

Tim,
    The Alpha1200 is the same driver and cabinet volume as the IL120 was. It just steps down to a 400watt (peak) amp from an 800watt. Not a bad deal. As far as Alpha being a step down from Interlude, I am not sure that is exactly a fair statement. The better Interlude models were powered, and were a lot more expensive than Alpha. Alpha originally came from their European line (see the International section of the Harmon website). Alpha is more affordable and all passive. For most customers, especially CC customers, Alpha is probably a much better choice.

20. Phil*K

Phil*K Stunt Coordinator

Miklsan,

From what I've read the Alpha 1200s and the IL120s both are 500watt subs with the same frequency response. Compairing the Alphas and the Interludes. I would compair the IL40s with the Alpha 50s. Both are at the same price point. I've owned the IL40s before I traded them for the 60s and They sounded great. I just couldn't resist the deal I got for the 60s. The Alphas are more efficient and are louder but IMO are too bright, but thats why were all different and wouldn't it be boring if we weren't.

Tim,

If you search the IL120s you can find some new ones for sale. But, from what I read on your posts you have a handle on it and whatever you buy I'm sure will serve your purpose.

Phil