Velodyne or Paradigm Sub

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by TravisEtherton, Apr 16, 2004.

1. TravisEtherton

TravisEtherton Stunt Coordinator

Velodyne F1000X Servo Driven 10" Subwoofer F-1000 or Paradigm PDR-10 that is todays question. Which one would be better for Home Theater use. Movies in particular. I have a chance to pick either one of them up for a total of $330.00 shipped.

Need some opinions. Thanks for any help. Or if you have any other recomendations in that Price range.[​IMG]

2. TravisEtherton

50 plus people and no one has an opinion on these two Subs...?

3. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

put "svs" somewhere in the subject line and you will get LOADS of responses.

4. TravisEtherton

Well I have another one to add. What about the Jamo SW 505E.

Any help would truely be appreciated. Thanks

5. Burke Strickland

Burke Strickland Second Unit

I have not had experience with the specific models that you have listed, but have listened to a fair number of others by both Paradigm and Velodyne. They both make some excellent subs. But of course, their best are also their most expensive. (Although I recognize the name, I have never heard any subs made by Jamo.)

Do you have the opportunity to try any of them in your own home and return it if it doesn't suit your purpose? That would be the best way to determine if one of them is going to fill your space with the bass you want. Especially with a sub, others' advice (unless there is incontrovertible evidence that a particular model is one-note boomy crap in any setting) and even a dealer showroom demo won't tell you much about how it is going to sound in your own home since so much depends on room placement and setup with the other components.

Good luck -

6. douglas-b

douglas-b Stunt Coordinator

Douglas Berry
    I have a PDR-12 and I'm quite happy with it. Everything I own is Paradigm.[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. TravisEtherton

Thanks for the input guys. This is a tough call. The subs are on ebay. Which brings up another question.. Ebay for HT Equipment?

8. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I have not dealt with Velodyne, but I have had a PDR-10 for about 4 years now and am very happy with it. My next step up in a sub will either be a Paradigm Servo-15 or a Siesmic 12.

9. Carl Gaff

Carl Gaff Second Unit

I have two Velodyne subs and think they are excellent. I purchased both off ebay. Couple of things I have learned about purchasing home theater equipment off ebay though:

1. Know the price you can get it for locally before you buy it off ebay. Sometimes it's not worth it to save a few dollars to buy stuff from an unknown seller when you can deal with someone locally. Makes returns much simpler and cheaper (shipping).

2. Dont forget to find out the shipping price and add that to you purchase price. On heavy items like subwoofers and amps the shipping costs can get high.

3. If it's new stuff: Find out if the seller is an authorized seller of the brand in question. If they are not the manufacturer will sometimes not honor the warranty. If they are an authorized seller(but not on-line) you can usually pay them for it by phone and get the warranty.

4. Be sure and read the sellers feed back!!! Don't but anything from a seller (no matter how cheap)if they have too many bad feed backs.

5. Ask all the questions you need concerning the equipment BEFORE bidding/purchasing.

10. TravisEtherton

This will be my last post on this topic. If it was your choice (of the 3 listed below) which would you put in your HT.

* The Velodyne F-1000X
    * The Jamo SW 505E
    * The Paradigm PDR-10

These are the subs currently in my budget. I wish I could do better but its all I can afford ATM. I have a 18ft X 15ft living room. The Sub will sit around 12ft from the viewer. I was leaning towards the Velodyne because I owned a CT-120 awhile back. The Jamo sub is a 12 inch woofer and I was thinking bigger is better..??.. The others are 10s. The Paradigm is rated at 300W and the others are 100W and 80W. There goes my bigger is better "American" theory again. I just need some opinions. If it was you on this budget what would you do......

Thanks for all the help all..........[​IMG]

11. Nathan W.

Nathan W. Stunt Coordinator

Careful, the Paradigm is 100 watts. The 300 rating must be maximum amp output. The other two would look more impressive with their maximum ratings posted too.

The Jamo would be a decent choice with it's down firing driver, if you have rambunctious kids. It looks to have more adjustment flexibility too.

Also depends how high the bid gets for the Velodyne.

12. bernard&*

bernard&* Stunt Coordinator

If im in the US I'll by SVS no question ask.[​IMG]

13. Michael__M

Michael__M Stunt Coordinator

Adire Rava

14. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Although, I've not auditioned either of the two that you've mentioned, I know a lot of people here would go for the SVS over the few that you named. Just rename the thread: SVS vs Paradigm PDR10 / Velo F1000X - and you'll see.

15. Robert_Dufresne

Robert_Dufresne Stunt Coordinator

I think that a lot of people promoting SVS subs (not all of them) on this site have a very limited experience with other fine sub manufacturers. They just do it because its the "IN" thing to do.

Same thing happened with Outlaw prepro and amps a while back.

16. TravisEtherton

Well I just got the Velodyne F1000X for a total of $330.00 shipped from Washington State to Illinois off Ebay. It comes with all the original packaging and manual. I don't think I got a bad deal. I will have to give you guys a review of the Sub after it gets settled into its new home.

Thanks to all those who replied.......[​IMG]