What's new

Velodyne or Klipsch (1 Viewer)

TravisEtherton

Stunt Coordinator
I found these two Subs for what seems to be reasonable prices. Tell me which would be a better deal.

Velodyne CT-150 for $350.00

- or -

Klipsch KSW-300 for $300.00

Both are 15" Woofers. I have arround a 18 X 18 room with a 10ft ceiling. Would appreciate any and all opinions.

Thanks Travis:)

TimZ

Agent
consider SVS or HSU, ( i said it before anyone else in here could nyaaaa :P )

but if its between those 2 i have heard both and go with the Velodyne. Its slightly cleaner sound, the klipsch is more of a Thud

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
Honestly, I auditioned Paradigm PDR-8, PDR-10 and PW2200 last November. Among the 3, PW2200 is the most expensive. The Paradigm dealer demoed PW2200 using the Star Wars movie, the part where the person was dropping the bomb to obiwankenobee. It produce bass well.

Anyways, so much for that. The reason I mentioned that story is because, I didn't buy Paradigm sub. What I bought was SVS PCi 20-39. I trusted what the HTF guys have been posting here about SVS subwoofers. Honestly, this is what I call a real subwoofer. I have invited my friends to my house and I usually demo Finding Nemo - the part where Darla was tapping the aquarium. This scene really shakes my 1st floor. You can even feel some pressure(it's like it's pulling air out of your ear) and in your chest. This is not a lie. And one thing I love with this bass is its clear(no popcorn sounds) and very tight bass.

It's also possible that I still haven't seen what my PCi 20-39 can really do. Hey guys, any movie that has some really low or deep bass?

Just curious, how will my sub handle bass below 20hz?

Thanks guys.

Joey_V

Second Unit
neil,
ur sub will do fine till about 17-18hz... depending on room dimensions... it might even go lower to about 15-16... who knows. spl drops significantly though after 17 or so.

have u tried the matrix scene where morpheus and neo spar in the dojo and morpheus lands on his knee? this one has some kick to it... my 25-31PC+ punched me.. stupid ba***rd! :D

regarding the question between velo and klipsch... i prefer velo over the ksw (or the equivalent kw) series.

TravisEtherton

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Budget of $350-400 at the moment and I don't think that SVS makes a Sub in that Price range. I'll go check but I doubt it. Any other suggestions in my budget is welcome.;)

TravisEtherton

Stunt Coordinator
I just got done looking at the SVS line. Rather impressive. The cheapest was $549-599. Cylinder or Box design. With everybody so SVS nuts arround here I might try to save some more and get one. Which is better the SVS 25-31PCi or the SVS PB1-ISD Subwoofer. Or is it just a preference choice.

Thanks

greg baker

Stunt Coordinator
The specs on the 25-31 PCI and the PB-1 are virtually identical. Most recommend that you have them tune it to 22hz. I think they do this for free but I am not sure.
Greg

Joey_V

Second Unit
they can tune the 25-31PCi to 22hz and essentially make it a 22-31PCi. the box (pb1isd) is already stock tuned to 22hz.

i had the 22-31PCi for a week before i upgraded to the 25-31PC+. i didnt want to upgrade, just that someone was selling the + for the same price as the 22-31PCi.

i was perfectly satisfied with the 22-31PCi - it went low and went loud. It had such a flat response down to 19-20hz... it was great! I no longer had the bloat around 30-45hz that most subs do (and my infinity entra two 12" did too).. for some people, it takes a little getting used to - seeing that you might not feel like you are getting a lot of bass, since it doesnt hit harder than it should at certain "bloated" frequencies.

For me, I got used to it real real quick! In my opinion, a flat response in any speaker is desired - because it is accurate to the source - no bloat of any kind.

For music, the PCi sub blends in perfectly - I just set the crossover to 90-100hz and the sub takes care of the rest. The sub pounds quick and effortlessly, keeping up with my mains easily. For movies, the crossover is disabled and i turn the gain on the sub a little higher - now the sub POUNDS strong and hard for tactile bass found in DVD movies today.

although u cant go wrong between the box and the cylinder, i prefer the cylinder over the box for four reasons:
1. it weighs less - easier to move and position.
2. it has a smaller footprint and takes up less space.
3. the port is facing up, and can be corner loaded easier and closer to the corner than the box subs can (generally, u leave 6" or so of space between the wall and the port/s)
4. it is cheaper.

be prepared to be shocked by the size though - the 22-31i may not look large on the internet... but it sure is big in person.

have fun in your search! good luck!
;)

once u go svs, u cant go back! :laugh:

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
I can now capture a screenshot of my SVS PCI 20-39 and HT setup tonight because I just received my digital camera today that was fixed and shipped by Canon repair center.

Joey is correct about the size, it's tall but I like the fabric and the way it is built. :)

Btw, since I am new to HT, what is actually the "ports" there?

Thanks.

Joey_V

Second Unit
ports are the holes on top - in your case, the PCi has 1 port. the PC+ has three.

Jason_Dan

Agent
hold out for the svs

i ONLY bought a 20-39 pci and my god!!

i have not heard anything close at twice the price!

hold out save your pennies!!

everyone who comes to my house is driven to tears or profanity by this thing!!!

it is really really silly!

John Kirkham

Auditioning
Just a comment from a Klipsch KSW-350 owner. I recently replaced my Klipsch with an SVS 16-46PC+. The Klipsch was very good for most DVDs. Its output started dropping off rapidly below 30Hz. It is plenty loud above 30Hz. With the amount I could get for it used so low, I decided to move it upstairs so I can enjoy DVDs there also. For many DVDs and organ music the SVS beats the Klipsch by a large margin. I have heard many things that the Klipsch just could create. For $300 the Klipsch is a good buy for DVDs, but it can't compare with an SVS.
-John Kirkham

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks