Velodyne HGS15 II making a "POPPING" noise

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Kevin*Harley, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Kevin*Harley

Kevin*Harley Stunt Coordinator

My Velodyne HGS15 II starting making a continuous popping noise when it turned last night. Has worked perfectly up to that point.
    It started happening for no apparent reason. Sat down to listen music and the minute the sub turned on the popping started.

The sub is less than 9 months old and under warranty so I have no problem taking it back if something is blown. However if there is anything I can do please let me know. I would rather not have to lug a 90lb. box in and out of my home again.

Thanks in advance.

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Kevin

Have you called Velodyne yet? I know it is hard to wait over the weekend to start to get to the bottom of a problem. Keep your fingers crossed, maybe they can help you without having to ship it back.

Let us know how you make out.

Artie

3. Thomas Willard

Thomas Willard Stunt Coordinator

Popping sound can be a symptom of the speaker surround which attaches the cone to the basket (metal frame of the speaker)being torn. The popping sound results when the speaker voice coil rubs against the tube in which the voice coil travels. Try listening at very low volume and see if you hear the popping. If you only hear it at higher volume levels then, I would guess either the foam surround is torn or for some other reason the voice coil is loose.

4. Kevin*Harley

I called Velodyne but doesn't look like they have cust. service over the weekend.

The popping sound is there at any volume. The instant the sub turns on it starts. I pulled the grill off this morning and visually the cone looks fine. If I stabalize the cone with my finger the popping stops. However, the instant the sub receives a signal and the cone moves the popping starts again. Even if I tap the outside of the sub with my hand, the vibration will trigger the popping.

What are your thoughts?

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Kevin,

It definitely sounds like a defective driver. It could be that the voice coil is out of alignment and is causing the popping sound. Try turning the sub off completely and lightly push in on the center of the driver. If you hear a rubbing or scratching sound then the driver is damaged.

6. Kevin*Harley

Brian, Thanks for the reply.

I just did what you suggested but didn't hear any scratching noise. However, the cone is very taunt when the sub is off so the pressure I applied and movement was very little (I didn't want to dent the cone if I have to send it back).

On a side not:
    This sub has impressed the hell out of me each and every time I hear it and although it [​IMG] me that it's defective I am more [​IMG] that my HT will be subless. It's amazing how much a sub adds to the movie/music experience.

7. Rudi B

Rudi B Stunt Coordinator

I'd say that most probably the active servo mechanism went haywire, if the driver itself is okay...

8. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

Dont worry about it, just call Velodyne Tech support on Monday , they will take care of you. Velodyne has excellent customer service.

9. Kevin*Harley

Spoke to Velodyne today. After describing the problem they said it’s my amp. Unscrew the amp, send it to them and I should have a new one in 7-10 days.

Very helpful Customer Service with no hassle.

10. Erik_C

Erik_C Stunt Coordinator

My Velodyne 18" just had a similar problem. Turns out the amp needed fixing. Velodyne has great customer service, and my experience having the amp repaired was painless and done right the first time.
    -Erik