What's new

Velodyne HGS Problems (1 Viewer)

John H

Second Unit
I had been using a pair of Definitive Technology PF18TL subwoofers in my system since early 1998. I never had a problem with either unit.
In October of last year I upgraded to a pair of Velodyne HGS-18's. Both units produced a slight "woosh" fan type sound if you placed your ear right next to the driver. I was told this is normal for the Servo controled models.
About 2 weeks later one of the subwoofers noise became much louder. It could be heard very easily from my 12' listening position during quiet passages. My dealer replaced the unit.
When calibrating my system yesterday with a subwoofer test tone I noticed the other original unit was making a strange type noise. It is hard to describe. Sort of like rapid machine gun fire but with a different tone. It also still tries to produce the test signal.
This occurs at extremely low or high output levels while playing the test tone. The noise gets louder and softer as the subwoofers gain control is increased and decreased. It can be completely eliminated with the gain turned all the way down. It sounds like a problem with the amps circuitry.
I hooked up the unit to my other subwoofers feed to rule out the cable. I also tried the other line level input to eliminate a faulty RCA input jack. I did not try the speaker level inputs.
I can not believe I have had two of Velodynes flagship HGS units fail within 4 months. This one has to be shipped back to the manufacture for warranty repair.:frowning:
John

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Sorry to hear this John. I also have never had a single problem with any Def Tech speaker. Maybe you should try out Definitives new PowerCube which is coming out soon :) But anyway, I hope the VEL's run fine in the future.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Velodyne makes great subs, but I get the impression that either their quality control isn't the best, or that how they package and ship them isn't the best.

Although, in the past, I've had 1 HGS-10, and then 2 HGS-12's with no problems. But then I tried an FSR-15, and upon unpacking, the wood faceplate that holds the driver was cracked.

If you're into high output subs with low distortion, there's also the Paradigm servo 15, SVS, Hsu Research, and Vandersteen, among others.

Randy G

Second Unit
Velodyne has just released the HGS Series II to address some of the reliability issues to which you refer...slightly upgraded amp and driver material. If anybody's looking for about a 33% discount, I can hook them up with an authorized dealer located in Illinois. Email me at [email protected]
Regards,
Randy

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Randy- The II's aren't even on their web site yet! :)
Any changes in list prices? Same 10", 12", 15", 18" models?

John H

Second Unit
This one has to be shipped back to the manufacture for warranty repair.
Well I am finally picking up my repaired unit today. The amplifier was replaced with a Series II model. Showcase Entertainment is resposible for the long delay.
Velodyne is sending me another Series II amp directly to my house to replace the one in my other unit as well. It should arrive today also.
John

Randy G

Second Unit
Please let us know how things work out.
Just out of curiosity, did Velo explain what the differences were in the new amp?

PomingF

Second Unit
John, sorry to hear about your Velo problem. Look at it this way at least they are covered but less than a year... I have had my HGS-18 for over two years now and thank god haven't had any problem but I now spent majority of my time listening to stereo music without SW so the thing just sits idling most of the time. Do you have your Velos on all the time in current sensing mode? I tried that initially but didn't like it when the amp is switching off as a signal is coming through making some brief funny oscillating kinda noise. Since then I've had it on manual with no more problem and of course I just have to remember switching it off after each movie session. Wish you better luck with the new amps. :)
PF

MikeKaz

Stunt Coordinator
here
http://www.reference-av.com/news.html
Velodyne Acoustics, who along with M&K, led the way for high-performance subwoofers, announced the Mark II version of their vaunted HGS (High Gain Servo) series. Over 20 upgrades and modifications were made to the internal digital amplifiers improving both the quiet and reliability of the amps. The subwoofer drivers are now using a new custom designed multi-layer resin, Kevlar-reinforced cone, variable thickness EPDM surrounds and unique new die-cast aluminum baskets. A new generation High Gain Servo driver lowers distortion to a little as .3%. The new subwoofers are available now with no price increase. The HGS-10 CA Series II will be available in a clear acrylic cabinet which looks very cool. Best of all, prices for all models remain the same.
mmmm.....kevlar

John H

Second Unit
I will not have time to pick up the unit I sent in for repair unit until tomorrow.
:frowning:
My other Series II replacement amp did arrive yesterday though. :)
Do you have your Velos on all the time in current sensing mode? I tried that initially but didn't like it when the amp is switching off as a signal is coming through making some brief funny oscillating kinda noise.
PF,
Yes the auto on/off noise was annoying at first since my previous subwoofers were dead quiet during this cycle. I only hear it when the units power down after a movie.
John

MikeKaz

Stunt Coordinator
for other people who might be wondering about the sound, my brother purchased a 5 year old F-1500 servo controlled velodyne, and it definately did make a wooshing sound. It is in fact a product of velodyne's servo control system, and has nothing to do with the hgs line specifically. even if you are hearing a definate "woosh", that itself is not a problem and it's not only hgs's that make that sound. of course, if your sub is doing the wierd stuff john described, it's probably just messed up.

John H

Second Unit
I picked up my repaired HGS-18 today. It's back in place in the left front corner of the room.
I use the HGS pair in conjunction with a pair of Paradigm Servo 15's. While the unit was in for service a dialed in a curve with 1 HGS 18 in the front right corner and the two 15's in the rear. One on each side of my bed firing at each rear corner of the room.
After installing the repaired HGS-18 back into the mix in the right front corner and re-calibrating the front pair I rechecked my curve to see if it needed tweaking. It did not change at all.
John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks