What's new

Velodyne HGS - new THX licensing? (1 Viewer)

Geoff McD

Grip
I have heard rumors (not sure from where though) that Velodyne's HGS line has recently been given the THX licensing? Is this correct, or is this something I made up in my head maybe!

There is no doubt in my mind that these awesome subs meet and beat the requirements to get the licensing...I think it was just a matter of Velodyne paying the money to get it. And maybe its just the high end of the HGS line (like the HGS 15 or HGS 18).

Just curious!

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure the HGS15 and 18s are THX-2ed, although no one seems to really know for sure what all the requirements are for THX certification in any instance(thx, thx-2,thx-ultra)

Tom V.
SVS

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Who really cares unless their entire system is THX and set up to run that way.
Some very much do care and thats cool, I'm just not one of them.....

~{Velos new top of the line 1812 Sub}~, "is THX", something?

Read about at one of the CES sites but don't remember which THX-certification it is....:confused:

Regards
Geoff

Kevin*Harley

Stunt Coordinator
I have an HGS-15 II and it's "THX something."
Never paid that much attention to the certification because I purchased it for its sound not the labels on the back.

Out of curiosity I will check tonight.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Sound Level Very loud
Subwoofers flat to 35Hx
Speakers play 105db in 2000 cu ft Extremely loud
Subwoofers flat to 20Hz
Speakers play 105db in 3000 cu ft
Room Size Designed for smaller rooms (2000 cu ft)
Works well in larger rooms Designed for larger rooms (3000 cu ft)
Works well in smaller rooms
Sound Modes THX cinema modes,
All channel time delays THX cinema modes,
All channel time delays
THX Music Mode, ASA, BGC
Channel 7.1, 6.1 or 5.1 channels 7.1 channels
Components Speakers: Front (left, center, right), surround and subwoofers
Vertical directivity delivers unparalleled clarity, with minimal intrusion from room effects;
Sonic signature-matching pinpoints sound sources for total sound realism.
Controllers, Receivers and Amplifiers:
Minimal noise and distortion levels and unparalleled power reserves deliver accurate, pristine sound quality under all conditions.
This was quoted from THX's Homepage.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Shane,

Those are the very basic requirements. Each piece of gear is put thru a much more detailed array of testing methods and must perform to certain specs to pass certification. In other words, a subwoofer will need to do much more than extending to 20hz and hitting 105dBs in 3000 cu-ft.

But even working with these basics, how are they measuring the FR? NF, 1m,2m? What window are they allowing...-/+3? What SPLs are they measuring the FR with? How about output, no distortion limits? what is the input signal? distance between sub and measuring mic? Is the sub corner loaded?

There are just a ton of variables that (AFAIK) no one is really sure about(or if they are, they have signed a NDA :).

Tom V.
SVS

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
The other problem I have is that if this is such an "exact" standard then it should not matter what gear I match with one another that it should all sound the same (and it doesn't as I have heard both the Atlantic Tech and M&K Thx products in the past and the AT always seemed darker and the M&K subs were always better imho).

For example if you grabbed from same "standard" 3 different front speakers, a different pair of rears, a different (pair standards) of center rear(s), and match it with the appropriately rated sub(s) then this should all produce a correctly set of "standard" sound that this would reduce the purchase of a set of THX speakers down the factors of standard (based on room size), appearance (one you can accept bare minimum), and cost (in deciding between two items that meets the above then the cheapest most likely would be taken). Personally I don't think this would work.

Maybe it's just me but no thanks most likely it won't even work. I like the way most THX speakers sound (I love AT and M&K) but it seems to me that most of their subs usually lack depth or for the price seem underwhelming.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks