Velodyne HGS-18 owners?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John H, Oct 6, 2001.

1. John H

John H Second Unit

I installed a pair of HGS-18's towards the end of last month. Each is powered by a dedicated 20A circuit.
    I noticed that they both produced a light wooosh fan type noise when listening very close to the driver.
    After a few days of listening 1 unit became quite a bit louder. It can be heard from over 12' away in a quiet room. It is noisy with nothing but the AC cord attached and powered up.
    I have switched outlets and have even ran it through a power conditioner.
    This is an obvious defect. My dealer has ordered me a replacement.
    Do other HGS owners notice a very slight woooshing fan type noise when listening very close to the driver? I believe I read this noise is from the servo mechanism?
    John
    ------------------
    Bedroom Based Theater
    [Edited last by John H on October 06, 2001 at 09:08 PM]

2. ChrisA

ChrisA Second Unit

Yes, what you hear is the gain from the servo circuit. It is basically low level background amp noise. Normally you have to get within 2-3 feet to be able to hear it at all. It is fairly low level and described as you say.
    You can always try a cheater plug to see if it is a ground loop problem on the noisier sub. It defintely sounds like a problem in the noisier sub, but to 100% rule out a ground loop, why not try a cheater plug just to be sure. Sounds like a defective or improperly calibrated circuit though.
    ------------------
    Pictures: The Worm Hole Theater featuring the Black Hole Subs and Death Star Platform