Velodyne HGS-15SII or SVS PB2+

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Sri, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Sri

Sri Agent

Folks,
    Please help me with this decision. I can't decide whether to purchase Velodyne HSG15 (used) or SVS PB2+. I spend most of my time watching movies. I currently have Diva speakers (6.1, center,2.1, and r3), B&K ref50 and either Classe' CAV150 or Sherbourn 7/2100 (see my other thread). Thanks

2. Claude M

Claude M Stunt Coordinator

With any luck Tom V. will give you the performance comparison needed to answer that aspect of the question. But I would go for the SVS just on the warranty alone. I love Velodyne (I use the F1800XR and love it) but if anything goes wrong with the SVS you'll get a fast resolution (unless the used Vel has a warranty of some kind). Just my 2 cents on that aspect of it. My guess, as far as performance goes you'll be happy with either one (2 quality subs) with the SVS being more flexible.

3. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

The Velo HGS (as you are probably aware) has a servo circuit that limits output in order to keep THD extremely low (I think around 2% for the Gen II HGS circuit IIRC).

Limiting THD to 2% at any/all frequencies is certainly laudable, but also very conservative, and as such the HGS-15 II might not play as loud as you might expect for a 15", 1250 watt subwoofer.

The SVS has no servo circuit, and instead relies on a much larger enclosure volume, venting, and dual high quality drivers to keep THD low while still providing significantly more output capability than the HGS-15.

With the PB2+ in the stock 25 Hz tune, the HGS-15 will have deeper extension. But in the 20 Hz tune, the PB2+ will have comparable extension and still retain a large advantage in output at all frequencies above 15-16 Hz.

4. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

And in doing every thing that Ed states so eloquently, it will do it at half the new cost. Imo it would be much wiser to go with a new PB2+ over your other consideration.

5. terence

terence Supporting Actor

6. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Thanks for the tip Terence. I made a little trip on over there[​IMG]

You could fill a 1000 page volume up with numbers, tests, user reviews and it will/would not change some minds and thats ok.

7. Sri

Sri Agent

Folks, Thanks a lot for all the opinions. I've couple more days to decide and will keep you posted. Again, Thanks

8. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Sri,

I can't tell you anything about the Velo HGS15 but i will say there's a PB2+ teathered to my Ref50. Both pieces are remarkable performers in every respect. I wouldn't change a thing [​IMG]