Velodyne HGS 15 subwoofer

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Tom>WFL, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Tom>WFL

Tom>WFL Auditioning

I'm being offer this sub for $1,300 and would appreciate any comments. What do you think of this price, but more important, I would welcome any opinions on this sub. My application is 60% music, 40% HT. My preference is for clean sound, but I do enjoy the full HT experience. I think I have a pretty good "musical" system that cost me an arm & a leg... B&K AVR507 receiver with Sonus Faber Concertos / center and wall surrounds. I'm running out of $$$ so the prospect of saving money with a used, but compatible sub, is appealing. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Tom>WFL

Tom>WFL Auditioning

I'm being offer this sub for $1,300 and would appreciate any comments. What do you think of this price, but more important, I would welcome any opinions on this sub. My application is 60% music, 40% HT. My preference is for clean sound, but I do enjoy the full HT experience. I think I have a pretty good "musical" system that cost me an arm & a leg... B&K AVR507 receiver with Sonus Faber Concertos / center and wall surrounds. I'm running out of $$$ so the prospect of saving money with a used, but compatible sub, is appealing. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

3. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru

Craig
    How big is your room, and are there any large openings to other areas ? That is a great price...

4. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru

Craig
    How big is your room, and are there any large openings to other areas ? That is a great price...

5. Tom>WFL

Tom>WFL Auditioning

Craig,
    Thx for your comments. The room is about 22x20 and has major openings to adjacent rooms, plus a vaulted ceiling. The sub placement is in a corner furthest from the openings and where the ceiling is lower, so it radiates outward and upward.

6. Tom>WFL

Tom>WFL Auditioning

Craig,
    Thx for your comments. The room is about 22x20 and has major openings to adjacent rooms, plus a vaulted ceiling. The sub placement is in a corner furthest from the openings and where the ceiling is lower, so it radiates outward and upward.

7. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru

Craig
    That is a big room, though the placement will help... for real world, normal stuff, the Velo will do great... We had a single FSR-18 in a slightly larger room, and it was pretty potent... I say grab it, worst case, you add another down the road...

8. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru

Craig
    That is a big room, though the placement will help... for real world, normal stuff, the Velo will do great... We had a single FSR-18 in a slightly larger room, and it was pretty potent... I say grab it, worst case, you add another down the road...

9. Tom>WFL

Tom>WFL Auditioning

Craig,
    Funny you would mention the FSR-18. The same guy is offering a FSR-15 for $800 (says that it's 5 yrs old). Any comments on this vs. the HGS15 (which he claims is virtually new) for $1,300?

10. Tom>WFL

Tom>WFL Auditioning

Craig,
    Funny you would mention the FSR-18. The same guy is offering a FSR-15 for $800 (says that it's 5 yrs old). Any comments on this vs. the HGS15 (which he claims is virtually new) for $1,300?

11. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru

Craig
    It is a pretty good buy at $800, though the HGS is likely even better... Should you decide to upgrade in a year or two, you should get most of the $1300 back...

12. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru

Craig
    It is a pretty good buy at $800, though the HGS is likely even better... Should you decide to upgrade in a year or two, you should get most of the $1300 back...

13. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

i agree. go with the HGS. the servo function is nice. it give a cleaner output. the sub should be fine for your application. if anything it might be a little weak though, but you can always add a second one as someome suggested.

im ordering a pair of those in a couple weeks, ill let you know what two of them is like (my room is about the same size as yours, just a bit smaller).

14. Robert Cowan

i agree. go with the HGS. the servo function is nice. it give a cleaner output. the sub should be fine for your application. if anything it might be a little weak though, but you can always add a second one as someome suggested.

im ordering a pair of those in a couple weeks, ill let you know what two of them is like (my room is about the same size as yours, just a bit smaller).

15. Ray Gutnick

Ray Gutnick Stunt Coordinator

Ray
    HGS15 is a great sub. $1300 is a good price for a used one (I just checked audiogon, and there's one going for $1500obo).

16. Burke Strickland

Burke Strickland Second Unit

Either of the Velodyne subs will most likely do a great job for you in your environment. But since you say money is tight as you near the end of this project, you might want to take a closer look at that FSR-18.

The FSR-18 is basically the equivalent of the HGS-18 (a step above the HGS-15 in reaching the lowest bass and sub-bass notes at usable volume). Its amplifier and servo mechanism are the same, but the HGS-18 has a standard glossy piano finish, while that was an extra cost option on the FSR-18. The HGS-18 also has a slightly different cone surround material that actually keeps it from going quite as deep as the FSR-18 (as shown in independent tests).

The FSR-18 was a marketing test of the HGS technology which succeeded well enough that Velodyne moved ahead with its HGS series and discontinued the FSR-18 while still selling the rest of the FSR line (because the HGS-18 and FSR-18 were essentially the same sub, but the HGS-18 was priced considerably higher). The FSR-18 is as musical as the HGS-15 and will wallop the daylights out of you with the LFE channel (if that is what is called for).

I am using an FSR-18 with Magnepan MG 3.6s for music due to its clean sound which blends smoothly with the Maggies at the low end and its authoritative handling of the lowest octave where organ pipes reside :>) and also employ it as the sub for movie soundtracks. (I think it could crack wall plaster if I really cranked it up on the U-571 depth charge scenes). Its performance in both roles is sensational.

The FSR-18 would probably be the last sub you'd ever need to buy -- unless you move into the main concourse at Grand Central Station, at which point you might need to add another one. :>) If it is in good working order, at $800, the FSR-18 is a "steal". If the seller is amenable to it and is local so it isn't an expensive shipping proposition, why not try both in your system, see (hear) which you like better and keep that one?

17. Robert Cowan

he got offered an FSR-15, not the 18. if it was the 18 for $800, that would be a deal...

18. Burke Strickland

Burke Strickland Second Unit

Ah -- I read his comment "funny you would mention the FSR-18" and didn't notice that the sub offered for $800 was just the FSR-15. Although the FSR-15 is no slouch, I'd agree that the HGS-15 is a better sub, (the FSR-15 did NOT get the more advanced HGS technology that the FSR-18 employed), and in this case also has the advantage of being several years newer. Whether it is worth $500 more when money is tight is still something he might want to decide by an in-home comparison if that can be arranged.

19. Tom>WFL

Tom>WFL Auditioning

Thanks guys, your comments have been VERY helpful. I'll probably go with the HGS15. It appears to be a very credible sub and the fact that it's much newer is appealing. The seller is local so I'll audition them both.... always the best approach.

20. Bill Mullin

Bill Mullin Stunt Coordinator

I had an HGS-12II, it was an outstanding sub! I purchased it for $1,000 on eBay, used it for about 18 months, then sold it recently on eBay for $1,400! The reason I sold it was because I got a pair of SVS PC-Ultra's, which are also outstanding subs! [​IMG]

- Bill