What's new

Velodyne HGS-15 Series II Speaker Spikes? (1 Viewer)

Kevin.KGD

Auditioning
Does anyone know whether you can put spikes on a Velodyne HGS-15. My previous M&K subwoofer had threaded holes for spikes. I don't see any equivalent on the Velodyne. There are some feet which appear to have some type of plastic cap which I assume allows them to slide on wood or something. Maybe these pull off, but I didn't want to start trying to pry things off my new sub unless I knew they were supposed to come off.

Maybe this subwoofer just doesn't support spikes.

DarrenAlan

Stunt Coordinator
One option: pull the plastic feet and fill the resulting holes with pieces of dowel. Then add the spikes wherever you want to.

I did this to my Paradigm PDR-10 and while this isn't the greatest sub in the world, it seemed to cure a bit o' the boom.

I used the spikes from Audio Concepts:

http://www.audioc.com/accessories/MountsSpikes.htm

quyen_nguyen

Auditioning
Kevin
Only Velodyne DD/SPL2 series have threaded holes for spikes,
Velodyne HGS-15 have nail/plastic feet instead, and easy to remove.

Kevin*Harley

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin,

At 95lbs. the HGS15 is a fairly sturdy sub. If you are looking for sound improvment, I don't think spikes will give you any.

Kevin.KGD

Auditioning
Thanks for the information and the suggestions. I don't know whether I need the spikes or not. My previous sub had spikes, and it just seemed more stable (you couldn't push it around on the carpet). When I am playing it loud, you can feel it vibrate. My previous sub very well may have done the same thing. Virtually all subs might do that. I just never noticed because I never went up to the sub and felt the sides while it was playing loud. It does sound better than my previous sub.

I'm a little surprised they don't include the option of putting on spikes. It was a pretty expensive sub and I would have thought most fairly expensive subwoofers would have come with an option to put on spikes.

Kevin*Harley

Stunt Coordinator
I went through the very same dilemma a few months ago. We were putting in wood floors and thought I would need spikes. After some HT Forum research and movies/music evaluations, I decided my HGS15 doesn't need them.

I push my sub pretty hard. I've knocked over picture frames and had to rearrange items for less vibrations and rattles but have yet to see my sub move.

Sit back and enjoy your sub for the next week or two and then make you decision.

Congrats on the purchase, I love mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks