1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Velodyne HGS-15 or B&W 4000 Sub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Irv H, Jul 23, 2001.

1. Irv H

Irv H Auditioning

I am torn between the Velodyne HGS-15 and the B&W 4000 subwoofers.
    Both have great specs the B&W is $500 more list. None of my dealers locally have any to audition.
    Anyone have any thoughts on which one is the better?

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

The 4000 looks the part of good woofin'...but without any objective data to reference(data that includes distortion measurements)...I'd have to go with the HGS15. The newer SPL1200 from Velodyne almost provides the same performance as the HGS15 at about 50% of the price. Depending on the size of your room...maybe dual SPL1200s could be worked into the system? How large is the room, and how close to *reference* levels will you be cranking the system on those action oriented DVDs?
    TV

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I have bought a Velodyne HGS 10 and 12 in the past, and if you look around, you get them pretty heavily discounted. (I.e., I think the HGS 12 lists for upwards of $2400, but I got one for $1400; and the 10 lists for ~$1600, and I got one for $1000.)
    I would tend to think that you couldn't get as deep a discount on B&W.
    You might think, well maybe then you get what you pay for. But the Vel is a really nice sub.
    ------------------

4. Irv H

Irv H Auditioning

I went with the Velodyne HGS-15. My dealer quoted me $1799 with a $2200 list which I think is about $300 too low.
    Who am I to complain! [​IMG]

5. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

>>>I went with the Velodyne HGS-15. My dealer quoted me $1799 with a $2200 list which I think is about $300 too low.

6. John Morris

John Morris Guest

All I know is that you might want to talk to TV about an Ultra. From my very early tests... it's gonna kick those subs asses if paired with a decent amp.
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc

7. rin

rin Stunt Coordinator

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a pair of SV 16-46PC's stomp the HGS-15 at $200 less for the pair? Or if one wanted more output +30Hz, a pair of 20-39PC's would come in over $300 less. This is assuming of course that you have the room for the SV's.
    As a VERY happy new owner of a single 20-39PC, I thought I would put in my two cents,
    Thanks Tom & Ron,
    rin
    ------------------
    My Home Theater