Velodyne HGS-12, Series 2 vs. SVS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Mullin, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Bill Mullin

Bill Mullin Stunt Coordinator

The Velo HGS-12, S2 lists on the Velo web page for $2,199. I just purchased a brand new unit for $1,050 on eBay, but this was before I knew about this forum. I keep reading posts that essentially are saying that SVS manufactures are the subwoofer to end all subwoofers, and I'm wondering if I made a mistake. So can tell me how the HGS-12, S2 compares to the SVS subwoofer, let's say the 16-46 PC+ for example. I'm basically interested in performance, since I already know that SVS is big and Velo is expensive. I know that there are lots of SVS owners here who will rave about their sub, but I'd also like to hear from some Velo owners.

Note that my Velo will be delivered Monday. Depending on my tests and what I read here, if I'm not 100% pleased I have no problem putting it back on eBay and getting another sub!

BTW - I did search here for information comparing these 2 subs but had no luck.

TIA, Bill

2. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus Stunt Coordinator

never owned an svs, never owned a velo. both fill difrent roles. the velo is tiny, and really pretty amazing. the SVS folks took a DIY concept and made a really sucessful buisness out of it.

there both good subs, but neither are the end word in bottom feeding.

a little reasearch and a little creativity will net you a far better sub bass experience than either the SVS or the velo can provide. but are you willing to do what it takes to get you there?

you got a great deal on the velo, so its an pretty even field as far as cost (since a dual 16-46/samson rig costs about 1200) but my g note would be spent on an installed system, either an IB rig or some other installed system, possibly a basshorn aray.

my 2.7c

3. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

I think Tom from SVS has said that you really shouldn't compare the HGS series to SVS; they were each designed from a different perspective. The SVS is designed for maximum output and superior sound quality regardless of enclosure size, and the HGS was designed for maximum output and sound quality in the smallest possible enclosure size.

They are two different animals. I think the HGS is for those wanting an unobtrusive sub; SVS for those that don't care about size as a factor.

That being said, I think the SVS has the edge in overall output levels, since no compromise was made in the size department.

4. Henry_W

Henry_W Stunt Coordinator

You may find the HGS to fit your needs well. It is a good sub and at your price the performance/value ratio is very close to SVS. In a medium size room you should have one of the best 'musical' (sorry to use this goofy term, but it is the only good vague reference for the speaker's strength) subs around. It won't be shabby on HT but probably is bested by SVS.

As for me, I would put it in my system and if I like it not bother myself with worry over should I have gotten the SVS. You may find this to be an extremely pleasing sub.

Having said that - I am an SVS owner that is a convert to tubes....

5. Bill Mullin

6. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus Stunt Coordinator

how small is the room bill? you sould equil the performance of the 16-46 and put 500 bucks back into your pocket. (but youll have to build it yourself)

(...or spend the whole grand on a DIY project and put 'um both to shame.)

7. Bill Mullin