1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Velodyne HGS-12 at a great price ????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin*Harley, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Kevin*Harley

Kevin*Harley Stunt Coordinator

I have an opportunity to purchase a brand new HGS-12 for $1,084. I recently ordered a Denon 3803 / MA Silver S10's / MA Silver LCR ( I will be using old Infinity for surrounds). I eventually wanted a sub but $1084 is $300 more than what I wanted to spend and a few months early on my schedule. My contact is leaving his job so it's now or never.
    My non-audiophile, untrained ear was extremely impressed with the SPL-1200. I have yet to listen to the HGS series and curious on feedback.

Is this an opportunity I should not pass up?

2. EarlR

EarlR Stunt Coordinator

Kevin,
    I have an HGS12 that I currently use for my rear speakers. The 12 does a good job but unless you need the small size I would recommend getting either an SVS or HSU sub. Either one of these will give you much more bang for your buck than the HGS12.

Earl

3. Jim_P

Jim_P Stunt Coordinator

Kevin:

I've got the HGS-15 and am very happy with it. When properly intergrated into your system, you forget it's there, that is, until some low frequency explosion about knocks you off of the sofa. lol

If you do choose to go with the 12" version, be sure that you're getting the right size for the room you intend to use it in.

4. Ray Gutnick

Ray Gutnick Stunt Coordinator

Ray
    Thats a fair price (assuming no flaws)...they go for around $1250 on audiogon

5. Kevin*Harley

Made the choice and ordered it this afternoon.

Switched my fronts from S10's to S8's and applied the money to the sub.

My room is approx. 17 deep x 25 and size restraint was a huge variable in the decision process. 14.5"x 1 4"x 14" will make my wife extremely happy.

I could be wrong but I am under the impression the 12 will do just fine. Am I wrong??????

6. Jim_P

Jim_P Stunt Coordinator

You should be fine. I've seen a 12 work in a fairly large room that was closed off from other rooms, so it really depends on your specific situation. Be mindful that as will any sub, correct corner positioning will increase the SPL significantly.

My HGS-15 took a few weeks to breakin, so be sure to give it a chance.

7. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

It totally depends upon the volume you generally listen at. From these boards, you sometimes get the impression that you absolutely need the largest and most powerful. The reality of the situation is that the vast overwhelming majority of subwoofer users never make full use of the power they have on hand. Yeah, for the occasional impress-your-friends nuclear(or "nuke-YOU-ler" as Bush likes to say) explosion, it might not move you as much, but for everyday movie and music listening, I suspect that the HGS-12 will really please you. I'd go with the Series II if possible...a little beefier amp. If you want a decent deal, I can get it new for ya for around $1400 delivered.

Randy

8. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Depends on the level you like. If you don't want to go deep anywhere near reference levels and size is a big factor, then the Vel is fine. Has all kinds of circuitry to keep you from blowing it up.

9. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jack,

Or you could spend $600 and get the same output of the HGS15. But if size is an issue, then you've already resigned yourself to settle for less. At least less output.

10. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Yep...standard trade-off.

I,for one, would rather a Stryke AV12 with a beefy plate amp. That's what I'm using now in a 14" cube. You don't find drivers like this in big-name commercial subs.

11. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jack,

After seeing some measurements for an HGS12, it still seems to have the standard 12dB/octave rolloff with an F3 in the 35-40Hz range that most sealed enclosures have anyway. So it appears they haven't even tried to flatten the response down low with some form of eq. You're apparently just paying for the servo and limiting circuitry. I imagine your AV12 with the LT circuit will be in a totally different league.

12. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

I certainly prefer it to the Vels I've heard, f3 down below 20Hz with the LT in-line and plenty dynamic.

13. Jim_P

Jim_P Stunt Coordinator

Kevin:

Obviously everyone's opinion will vary depending on what they currently own.

You're getting a very good sub.

Issues such as is it big enough have a lot to do with how loud you intend to play it. Some people have it set way too high also. I've got a fairly large room and have my HGS-15 set at about 60 percent and due to layout wasn't able to corner load it.

As to brands and how they compare, in my internet contacts, I came across someone who had two HGS-15s and sold them off to get one of the other highly rated brands. He listened to hype about this other brand being better for home theater. After six months, he sold them and rebought two more HGS-15s. Expensive experience, but sometimes we all get bad advice.

14. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

15. Kevin*Harley

This is my first HT (my last receiver is a 14 year old Sony) and my goal from the beginning was to build a system that would visually blend into the room, won’t require constant fiddling with, and keep me satisfied for a long time. After 100+ hours on the HTF, 30+ hours sitting in audition rooms by myself, web research that kept me up till 3am, calling every contact I know to keep me from paying retail, and long sales presentations to my wife, I finally finished.

This board is an amazing source of information. Unfortunately, the more I read and discuss the more confused and less knowledgeable I feel. I am surprised I got to this point in the process without going crazy. Although I still have time for that when my equipment arrives and I’m back here asking about cables, wires, speaker location, break-in, ……….etc….etc!

Thanks for the help…..” I think! “