Velodyne HGS-10 and HGS-12 sale prices at Onecall, good deal?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Tishue, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Chris Tishue

Chris Tishue Auditioning

Onecall.com has the HGS10 for $976 and the HGS12 for $1167. (both series I) Could I do better elsewhere on these subwoofers? I know many have suggestions as to what sub is the best bang for your buck, but I currently looking at velodyne as my friend has an HGS-15 series I and I really like the way it sounds, but 15 inch is too much for my 11x13 home theater and my wallet.

Chris

2. Patrick TX

Patrick TX Stunt Coordinator

Good price, poor service. If there is a defect, you will be responsible for shipping BOTH WAYS. Be afraid, or better yet, find a local dealer willing to repair them. TRUST ME.

3. Bill Mullin

Bill Mullin Stunt Coordinator

4. Chris Tishue

Chris Tishue Auditioning

Why would I be worried about defective products?

I quote from onecall.com:

"Any goods (except DSS and Televisions*) which prove to be defective within fifteen days of delivery may be credited or exchanged for a replacement of the same model. OneCall will pay shipping costs for replacement merchandise. Simply call us at 1.800.340.4770 for a return authorization number. No returned merchandise will be accepted without a valid return authorization number on the shipping label."

They'll pay shipping both ways. Are you talking about Velodyne's service? If that's the case, I am pretty sure there are authorized service centers near me (have to double check.)

On a side note, I thought Velodyne solved all the problems with the HGS series I and upgraded them. The original specs on the HGS line for the amplifier were 1000W, 2700W peak. The upgraded specs that are equivalent to the series II subs are 1250W, 3000W peak. This is what onecall is selling, and the sales rep confirmed this for me.

I have local dealers with these subs. Maybe they would match Onecall's price, since onecall is authorized to sell these online for a closeout sale.

Chris

5. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I had a slight problem with one of my Velo's and all I had to do is ship the amp back to them. They had a new amp back to me in two or three days of receiving the amp I sent to them. They also gave me the option of taking it to one of there authorized technicians. I should clarify-- "It was Velodyne I was dealing with". I have found Velodyne and HTD great CO.s to deal with.

6. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Chris-

Do you want a small sub or a high performing sub?

For 1167 you can get dual SVS's. 1 SVS will outperform the HGS-12, dual would kick it to the curb.

If you still want small, the HSU vtf-3 will whip the HGS-12 and it's only $750-800.

7. Patrick TX

No, I'm talking about onecall sitting on a pair of defective speakers for 19 days & not crediting my Amex.
    Then, telling me I would be responsible for shipping BOTH WAYS after I sent them back. One of the threads for the spikes was filled with Glue & spinning around. They told me to shove a toothpick in it. Fine, but then the woofer went bad, one day within my return period. I asked for an RMA, & they danced around and asked me to sleep on it! Well, I didn't want to lose my window, so I had to MOTOR FREIGHT this big ol' load. Be careful is all I'm saying. I was so pissed, I turned it over to Amex yesterday.

8. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

One call has great prices BUT there are better and safer places to buy IMHO. I've done 3 or 4k worth of business with Onecall when first starting on my HT but then drifted more to Oade, J&R, Soundcity and Audioadvisor. Onecall for me is only safe if you are buying a "for sure" piece with no doubt on your part.

9. Bill RE

Bill RE Extra

For what it is worth, I have made three purchases from OneCall in the last two months and they have been great. Maybe I was just lucky but the items were very well packaged, delivered in several days, and the prices were great. I would not hesitate to buy from them again.

10. Patrick TX

I have made several purchases in the past as well. No problems until now. Good luck with your equipment. I will NEVER buy from them again. My issue was not the packaging, or the price. They simply jerked with me repeatedly. Is it fair for ME to pay 2 way freight on an admittedly defective product? NO.

11. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Good prices and quick shipping are only one side of the coin. How a company performs on the customer service end is the other side of the coin. Clearly, they "stiffed" you on this deal.

12. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Try www.soundcity.com
    They ALWAYS beat anyone's price if they carry the product.