Velodyne F-1800RII problem

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Erik_C, Aug 20, 2003.

1. Erik_C

Erik_C Stunt Coordinator

Last night I get home, turn on the system, and the sub, which I have on auto on (when there's bass, it turns itself on, and it turns off after 10 minutes or so without bass). But this time the sub made some odd noises. Because it's a servo sub, it usually has a faint hissing sound. But last night it make a very loud hissing sound that could be heard 30 feet away. In addition to that, it made a clicking sound, and the cone vibrated ever so slightly with each click. I'd guess there were 15 clicks per second, and if you put your hand on the cone, you could feel them. These were not 15hz pulses, but more like someone snapping their fingers quickly and repeatedly. There was no music playing when it started doing this, and indeed, with the stereo off and just the sub powered up, it still made that noise. The sub still produces bass, but it's gotta be louder to overcome the new "background" noise of the sub itself. One last thing: the noise did not change with changes in the system's volume or the sub's own volume.
    I'm stumped. I'd hate for it to be dead. Any ideas on what's wrong and how to fix it?
    -Erik

2. Curt C

Curt C Agent

Call Velodyne's service manager, David Santos (408) 465-2819, and run the problem by him. A Velodyne servo sub is a precision device and I'd go to the experts.
    Curt

3. David J S

David J S Auditioning

Hi Eric

Velodyne likes to makes a habit of patrolling some of these more popular forums , and I happened to run across your post from the 27th.
    I you wouldn't mind giving me a call I think I may be able to lend you some assistance.
    I can be reached at (408) 465-2800 Ext. 2819 or via email at dave.santos @velodyne.com .
    I look forward to speaking with you.

David Santos

4. EmoryS

EmoryS Extra

Eric,

I wanted to chime in and agree with the previous replys to your post.

Definitely call David Santos at Velodyne. David worked with me on a recent issue I had with my FSR-15 and he was a pleasure to work with. [​IMG]

I can't recommend Velodyne customer service enough!

Regards,

EmoryS

5. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I had a little problem with a amp once and they were great to work with. They wound up sending me a new amp.